Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Found A Very Active New Site, GREAT SITE WITH RECIPE CALCULATOR
dsg1012
post Feb 20 2007, 03:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,975

PLEASE COME TO THIS SITE TO CHECK IT OUT. IT IS VERY ACTIVE AND I HAVE STARTED A LOW GI FORUM. IT HAS A RECIPE CALCULATOR AND EVERYTHING. IT IS SO GREAT TO TYPE IN THE RECIPE AND GET THE FULL BREAKDOWN OF CAL, CARB ETC.

SPARKPEOPLE NUTRITION IS THE SITE.

DONA1012 IS MY NAME IN THERE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yourmarklindsay
post Apr 2 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,107

Hi Donna. I am new to SB (3 weeks) and have been somewhat discouraged A) by the fact that it isnt as easy as the book markets...meaning that it is difficult to find foods that fit all of the rules...the label reading is overwelming and it seems that everything (other than natural legal fruits and vegetables) have some forbidden ingredient even though it may even say sugar free and (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) there seems to be little activity and a lot of old posts on this forum. The few people that have responded to me have been very nice and helpful but I dont want to bombard the same 3 people with my many questions that i have brewing. Im so glad you recommended this site. I just joined under spark people and listed your user name as the referring member.

My question to you is...is the spark people a low sugar/low GI diet forum as well? Also people on this forum and others refer to sugarbusters as a low GI diet...while this is true it is a little misleading because there are a good many low/medium GI foods that are not legal on sugarbusters. so can you eat a low GI diet and it be the same as SB?

Thanks for your help and recommendations!!

Lindsay

QUOTE (dsg1012 @ Feb 20 2007, 03:57 PM) *
PLEASE COME TO THIS SITE TO CHECK IT OUT. IT IS VERY ACTIVE AND I HAVE STARTED A LOW GI FORUM. IT HAS A RECIPE CALCULATOR AND EVERYTHING. IT IS SO GREAT TO TYPE IN THE RECIPE AND GET THE FULL BREAKDOWN OF CAL, CARB ETC.

SPARKPEOPLE NUTRITION IS THE SITE.

DONA1012 IS MY NAME IN THERE

+Quote Post
yourmarklindsay
post Apr 2 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #3

PS - I just logged in and found the forum. Thanks.

Lindsay

This post has been edited by yourmarklindsay: Apr 2 2007, 05:37 PM

+Quote Post
molly
post Apr 2 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #4

Master

Member No.: 51

Lindsay.. what low GI foods are prohibited on SugarBusters?

molly

+Quote Post
yourmarklindsay
post Apr 2 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #5

Maybe I dont completely understand SB (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) yet but according to this webpage http://www.nutricoach.net/low_gi_foods.html (and others I have seen ) there are low GI foods such as Peanut M&Ms, Snickers Bars, Tomato soup, low fat icecream, macaroni, carrots, etc. that are not ok on SB.

A diabetic can even have some foods in the moderate GI catagory such as taco shells, blueberry muffins and so on. It seems more limited on SB...for example I found Triscuts that are Garden Herb flavored that have 0 sugars yet have one of the no no ingredients. I welcome any help...I would litterally be willing to pay someone to help me identify specific brands and items of foods that are acceptable...it seems like most things have high fructose syrup or cornstarch or some kind of illegal flour...even my pickles and fat free hot dogs had high fructose corn syrup...my dressings which had 1 g of sugar or less mostly all had high fructose corn syrup...most breads even whole grain have high fructose corn syrup...so while I finally found a hotdog that didnt have any illegal ingredients, I cant find any legal buns to go with it...i have looked at Wal-Mart, Bi-Lo ( a grocery store here), Whole Foods, and Publix...I found whole wheat/whole grain hotdog buns but the all have an illegal substance.

Also can you have things that are made from concentrate (like OJ) if the label says no sugar added?

Help!

Lindsay

QUOTE (molly @ Apr 2 2007, 07:37 PM) *
Lindsay.. what low GI foods are prohibited on SugarBusters?

molly

+Quote Post
yourmarklindsay
post Apr 2 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #6

Hi Molly. I appreciate the help you have offered. What is considered low GI in SB? According to websites i have found, anything less than 50 is considered low and anything betw. 50 and 70 is considered moderate. M&M peanuts have a GI of 32 which would be considered low.

+Quote Post
yourmarklindsay
post Apr 2 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #7

Here are additional pages that show things like Fettucine and M&M peanuts as a low GI food...

http://www.campshane.com/nutritional/Tools...cemic_index.htm

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm ( this one list pound cake and bananas)

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/?gcl...CFQgTWAodMEgMqA ( this one lists corn as low GI)

+Quote Post
molly
post Apr 3 2007, 12:47 AM
Post #8

Master

Wow! I hardly know where to begin.

Ok - lets start with basics as in have you read the SugarBusters book? Based on the questions you are asking I would guess not. Reading the book is a must! You cannot learn all you need to know from the internet. It is a helpful supplement but is not a replacement for the book. I find it is even helpful to re-read it after being on plan for several months. You will be surprised what you have missed in the first reading.

Second: Why are you on SugarBusters? Is it to lose weight? Gain weight? Is it to restore health? Or is it a preventative measure to insure a healthy future? For me ... I need to lose weight and I need to improve my health as I have a number of physical issues that limit my quality of life. That being said I know that no matter how low GI a snickers bar is - it is not healthy for me ... think of the sugar & unhealthy fats! Common sense would tell me that pound cake (made with white flour and sugar) and Mars Bars are not part of a healthy lifestyle.

Basically on SugarBusters we eat LOW Sugar, moderate fat (with an emphasis on the good fats), lean protein, LOW GI veggies and fruit and complex whole grains and carbohydrates. It is a LOW GI food plan PLUS!

For myself I cannot have more than 2 servings of starchy carbs a day and still lose weight. So I choose those carefully ... a slice of whole grain toast or 1/2 of a baked sweet potato or oats (love the Irish Steel Cut). You can have whole grain pasta. I don't because I don't lose weight when I eat pasta but some people don't have that problem. You will get to know how your body reacts to various foods. Just because it's legal doesn't mean your body can tolerate it. You will find that out thru trial and error.

Foods to avoid... processed grains, white flour, sugar (and any of it's cousins), corn starch, white potatoes, etc. Again the list is in the book.

Don't give up. Keep asking questions. It really isn't hard once you get the hang of it.

molly
ps ...

Your OJ is fine as long as it isn't sweetened but the whole fruit is better due to the fiber in it.

Most breads , even whole grain, will have some added sugar (it helps the yeast to work). I believe the guideline is 3-5 grams of sugar per serving. Ed & Dave might want to chime in here as they have a real handle on that sugar grams thing.

What ingredient was not legal in the triscuits?

You can have carrots in moderate portions & macaroni if it is whole grain.

Hope this helps. (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh .. here are a couple of sites that I think are top notch for LOW GI info:

http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

This post has been edited by molly: Apr 3 2007, 12:49 AM

+Quote Post
yourmarklindsay
post Apr 3 2007, 02:35 AM
Post #9

Hi Molly. Thanks for your reply. I have been reading the book (and am half way through) as well as bought the shopping guide. I agree with you about rereading as i have missed many things that i am catching after going back to some chapters...I havent read it from cover to cover yet but am in the process now. Its not that i dont get that SB is low GI as well as the other stuff you mentioned like low sugar, moderate fat, etc. What I was asking or saying to Dona's post is that i think it is a little confusing or misleading when SB is called a low GI diet. I know that it is but it is low GI plus as you said so therefor more restrictive that the other low GI diets out there such as the one actually called the low GI diet, and others. My point was that while I know that M&M peanuts and snickers bars are not healthy, they technically are a low GI food so to say SB is a low GI diet could lead some to believe there are more food options than there really are. For example for me...i heard that SB was a low GI diet and since my Dr. recommended that i eat similar to a diabetic (will explain in next paragraph) i thought this really wont be that hard because while i normally do not eat a lot of junk food, God forbid if i was having one of those rare dessert cravings that i have on occasion, i could actually eat a snickers bar, yes while not healthy or wise, it is in fact low GI. Then when I started reading the SB book and found out the illegal ingredients and all of the tons of foods that have them, i realized it isnt near as convenient or easy as somewhat marketed. I dont mean this as a complaint because i do believe once i get all of the legal and illegal foods logged and get my shopping list down, it is fairly easy although not as inclusive of SO many foods as it says in the book...especially for me because i do not eat a lot of vegetable and am on the run most nights so it has been difficult for me to make things that are fast and on the go and meet the SB criteria...i think SB is easier if you like to cook and use all of the natural ingrediens and eat most vegetable like a lot of people do, unfortunately i like maybe 4 approved veggies...thank God for fruits! (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

As far as why I am on SB...it is both to lose weight as just be healthier over all. The reason I chose SB specifically as opposed to something like Weight Watchers is because I have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and one of the things that comes along with that is being insulin resistant...it seems like no matter what I have tried, im not loosing weight. so i asked my Dr. what to do and she said i need to eat like a diabetic which is when i jumped onto SB.

Triscuts? The regular low fat triscuts as you know do not have any illegal ingredients...but the Garden Herb ones that i mentioned while it says 0 grams of sugar on the box, the ingredients listed includes cornstarch so I assumed they were off limits since cornstarch is one of the illegal ingredients correct?

Also can you help clarify as to which is better...i read where it is good to buy low fat dairy like lowfat or fat free cheese but then I also read where it said it is best to buy natural versus processed yet when i have checked the delis at my local grocery stores, they do not or quit carrying the lowfat or fat free versions...so which is better? To buy packaged low fat Kraft American cheese or to buy all natural boar's head that isnt reduced or no fat?

Thanks for your patience with my long post and for answering my questions. I hope you can sort through my babble as I am trying to type while watching "24" at the same time. (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Lindsay

QUOTE (molly @ Apr 3 2007, 12:47 AM) *
Wow! I hardly know where to begin.

Ok - lets start with basics as in have you read the SugarBusters book? Based on the questions you are asking I would guess not. Reading the book is a must! You cannot learn all you need to know from the internet. It is a helpful supplement but is not a replacement for the book. I find it is even helpful to re-read it after being on plan for several months. You will be surprised what you have missed in the first reading.

Second: Why are you on SugarBusters? Is it to lose weight? Gain weight? Is it to restore health? Or is it a preventative measure to insure a healthy future? For me ... I need to lose weight and I need to improve my health as I have a number of physical issues that limit my quality of life. That being said I know that no matter how low GI a snickers bar is - it is not healthy for me ... think of the sugar & unhealthy fats! Common sense would tell me that pound cake (made with white flour and sugar) and Mars Bars are not part of a healthy lifestyle.

Basically on SugarBusters we eat LOW Sugar, moderate fat (with an emphasis on the good fats), lean protein, LOW GI veggies and fruit and complex whole grains and carbohydrates. It is a LOW GI food plan PLUS!

For myself I cannot have more than 2 servings of starchy carbs a day and still lose weight. So I choose those carefully ... a slice of whole grain toast or 1/2 of a baked sweet potato or oats (love the Irish Steel Cut). You can have whole grain pasta. I don't because I don't lose weight when I eat pasta but some people don't have that problem. You will get to know how your body reacts to various foods. Just because it's legal doesn't mean your body can tolerate it. You will find that out thru trial and error.

Foods to avoid... processed grains, white flour, sugar (and any of it's cousins), corn starch, white potatoes, etc. Again the list is in the book.

Don't give up. Keep asking questions. It really isn't hard once you get the hang of it.

molly
ps ...

Your OJ is fine as long as it isn't sweetened but the whole fruit is better due to the fiber in it.

Most breads , even whole grain, will have some added sugar (it helps the yeast to work). I believe the guideline is 3-5 grams of sugar per serving. Ed & Dave might want to chime in here as they have a real handle on that sugar grams thing.

What ingredient was not legal in the triscuits?

You can have carrots in moderate portions & macaroni if it is whole grain.

Hope this helps. (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Oh .. here are a couple of sites that I think are top notch for LOW GI info:

http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

+Quote Post
molly
post Apr 3 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #10

Master

Lindsay: You are asking excellent questions.

Here's my take on Low Fat Stuff... the book encourages it but it also says you can have butter, cream etc. At first I found that to be inconsistent but here is the deal with SugarBusters! This is a plan for grown-ups. By that I mean the authors don't hold your hand and say exactly what you can and cannot put in your mouth. They give you guidelines and then let you discover what works best for your own particular body chemistry. I really appreciate that about the plan. It makes me feel as though the Drs and I are partners in this journey.

I personally detest Low Fat products. They are heavily processed. They taste like rubber and are laced with additives in an attempt to regain the texture and taste the food processors took out of it in the first place.

I figure this is SugarBusters! not FatBusters! I would much prefer and feel it is healthier to have a smaller portion of the real thing than a heaping bowlful of fake, blubbery, limp, globs of Low Fat whatever. I don't over induge on fats. I use primarily olive oil and stick mostly to lean proteins but if I want a chunk of cheese then I will have a chunk of the real thing. It just seems a healthier way to go. The real stuff satisfies my hunger and kills the cravings. Plus I can pronounce all the the ingredients. (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Not everyone agrees with this. I have no problem with that . We all have to figure out what works best for our own bodies. So please take this as just one person's opinion.

molly (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by molly: Apr 3 2007, 07:58 PM

+Quote Post
easyecm
post Apr 5 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #11

Master

Member No.: 3,903

Lindsay,

Let me try to explain this, as I understand it.

First, restricted foods are - no processed flour, sugar, white potatoes, carrots, corn or beets. (now since the writing small amounts of carrots seem ok).

Then, with this knowledge, choose low glycemic foods first, then moderate glycemic next. Also remember, lg foods eaten in large quanities can become hg in nature.

So to continue, if NO sugar is legal (other than sugar found in fruit, milk, etc.) then a Snickers bar, or M&M's (sorry to say) could not be legal, despite what anyone says on the internet.

Remember, the forbidden list FIRST, then choose foods that do not contain these things, and are lg or mg.

Read the book through, and read it again!

Keep asking questions, and it will get easier.

Hope this helps,

Ed

This post has been edited by easyecm: Apr 5 2007, 12:24 AM

+Quote Post
jokeje
post Apr 20 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #12

Master

Member No.: 1,333

Hi, ALL!!

Welcome, Lindsay! I agree with Molly - good questions and keeping asking! I've read the book about 3 or 4 times now and continue to connect the dots and learn new things.

A couple of key things to think about
  • Moderation - like someone said in a post above...even too much of a lg good becomes a hg food!
  • Avoid consuming high GI foods with large amounts of protein (don't eat fruit with a steak - this is covered in the book somewhere under the chemical interactions: glucagon vs. insulin production)
  • SMALL amounts of "illegal" things periodically aren't going to derail you unless you let it into all your foods (i.e., the small quantities of cornstarch in the Garden Herb Triscuits) I think somewhere on the board is a guideline...avoid foods where sugar is in the first 5 ingredients? (Kate - didn't you post that somewhere?)
  • Some people do better drawing a line in the sand and jumping right in...others do better attacking one area of the food stuff at a time (cutting out nightly desserts, giving up regular sodas, etc...). Do what will keep you going on this without getting frustrated. Molly is right - pretty soon this will be 2nd nature - you will begin losing the taste for certain "bad" foods.
  • Cook once and freeze individual portions if your time is tight, then you'll be able to eat healthier and more balanced meals.
  • PLAN MENUS AHEAD!! If you plan, you will be less likely to grab a burger and fries on the run because of convenience.
  • Drink lots of water - even mild dehydration can negatively impact you.
  • Knowledge is power!! You wrote that you hate reading the nutrition labels. At first it was horribly confusing, but now I even have my 10 year old looking at them!! She's starting to be able to tell what is acceptable and what's off limits!
I hope this isn't overload! Hang in there!! You CAN do this!

Joanie

This post has been edited by jokeje: Apr 20 2007, 06:03 PM

+Quote Post
trwheeler1
post Jun 1 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 941

I went on this Sparkpeople board and joined and in one month I lost 1 inch in my waist & hips! It is a great board! I would recommend it.

My username is trwheeler1, please look me up.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 02:08 AM