Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thanksgiving Recipes
lekililina
post Oct 22 2003, 02:46 PM
Post #1

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 432

I'm starting a thread, and I'd like to see everyone post some of their favorite legal Thanksgiving recipes here. I think it will be easier to find and follow if everyone posts to one thread. Let me know what you think by either posting recipes or ignoring this (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Leslie

PS: PLEASE make sure to put recipe titles in BOLD AND UNDERLINED to make it easier to view them!!

This post has been edited by lekililina: Oct 23 2003, 12:12 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maccsale
post Oct 22 2003, 07:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,749

I think I just got depressed thinking about Thanksgiving - this is my first on SB! Nothing I love is legal. (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I will put on my thinking cap and come up with a few...

Thanks for starting it, Leslie!

Anita

+Quote Post
jokeje
post Oct 22 2003, 09:02 PM
Post #3

Master

Member No.: 1,333

Anita,
I understand that!! Hubby and I started SB the FIRST time in November before were firmly grounded and by T-giving, our SB train was derailed!!! (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) We're much better prepared this go 'round!!

I have a GREAT Sweet Potato casserole that I can "convert"...with the exception of the topping, but I'll find a replacement!!! As soon as I dig it out and convert it, I'll try it then post it.

Joanie

+Quote Post
Kate
post Oct 22 2003, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Master

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 388

My sis and I tried last Thanksgiving to be "good", the rest of the family looked at us crosseyed. I could use all the help I can get this year - I plan to be VERY GOOD this year in preparation for Christmas parties. If I'm going to fall off the SB wagon around then, I'd like to start it later than sooner! I'm the veggie and pie cook so any converted recipes will be most welcome.

Anyone interested in a tomato aspic? I think I can convert the recipe.

+Quote Post
lekililina
post Oct 23 2003, 12:11 AM
Post #5

Master

I'm not sure I even know what aspic IS... LOL

My SB contribution is this:

Every year since the dawn of time, or at least as long as I can remember, my mom's made the best stuffing using this specially made stuffing bread that we buy at a local bakery. It's got the sage and thyme, etc, all baked into the bread, and it's amazing. When I started making my own SB Thanksgiving, I converted the recipe to fit my needs, so here goes:

Note: all ingredients are to your taste and needs, so I apologize now (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Strobel Family Giblet Stuffing
2 loaves SGWW bread, cubed
1-1.5 pounds chicken giblets, including the ones from inside the turkey
chicken stock
celery, chopped
onion, chopped
sage
parsley
thyme
salt & pepper

Boil all giblets in enough water to cover for 1 hour, stirring and checking water occasionally, adding water if necessary. Be sure not to boil over as cleaning it up is a pain in the you-know-what. Boiling can be done up to 2 days prior. Save stock from boiling giblets.

Chop cooled giblets, celery and onion. In LARGE stockpot or bowl, mix giblets, celery, onion, and bread. Stir spices into dry bread/giblet mixture. Slowly add chicken stock, stirring constantly, until moistened throughout but NOT SOPPING WET.

Stuff inside of thawed, washed, and salted (on the inside) turkey. You can stuff both ends if you have a family as hungry as mine! If you have leftover stuffing, bake in covered, buttered casserole.

I know this isn't anything huge or amazing, but it's my family recipe, and I wanted to be the first to share.

+Quote Post
shel1210
post Oct 23 2003, 10:35 PM
Post #6

Master

Member No.: 67

Garlic Mashed Sweet Potatoes originally posted by Anita...aka maccsale

Peel amount of potatoes desired (I always make 2x as much because this reheats and freezes well). Cover with water and bring to boil. Meanwhile coarsly chop 2-3 garlic cloves. Keep garlic pieces large enough that they will not come out when drained. Salt the water to your liking and boil potatoes until they are pretty soft.

Drain well and mash well leaving the garlic pieces in the potatoes (they will disappear as you mash). Add liquid (skim milk or heavy whipping cream or anything in between depending on your fat requirements) and butter if desired. We liberally apply freshly ground black pepper as well.

These are so good without any added sweet stuff and the garlic and pepper make them much like regular mashed potatoes. My husband is starting to like these better than reg. spuds and he is not even SBing!

This post has been edited by shel1210: Oct 23 2003, 10:37 PM

+Quote Post
jokeje
post Oct 24 2003, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Master

Member No.: 1,333

Chicken Divan (can use leftover turkey!)
  • 2 (10 oz) pkg frozen broccoli spears (I use frozen florets) or 2 bunches fresh broccoli
  • 3 chicken breasts, cooked, boned & cubed
  • 2 cans condensed cream of ___ soup (mushroom, chicken, celery or a combo of these)
  • 1 Cup sugar-free mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. curry powder (I use a little more because we like curry)
  • 1 1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese (you can adjust this to your needs)
  • 1/2 cup SGWW bread torn into about 1/2" - 1" pieces
  • Pam cooking spray Butter Flavor...garlic flavor may be good, too (or 2 tbsp melted butter)
Cook broccoli in boiling water (or microwave it), drain. Arrange broccoli in bottom of 13x9 greased pan. Place chicken on top of broccoli. Combine soup, mayo, lemon juice, curry powder and 1/2 of the cheese; pour over chicken. Either toss bread crumbs in the melted butter and place on top of soup mixture OR place the bread pieces on top and spray with butter Pam. Sprinkle rest of cheese over top and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.

This is what we're having tonight, and it's REALLY yummy!!

You can use leftover chicken...like I halved the recipe and used the leftover chicken from one of the rotisserie chickens from earlier this week. It throws together fairly quickly.

ENJOY!!!

Joanie

This post has been edited by jokeje: Oct 24 2003, 08:44 PM

+Quote Post
kodakstapler
post Oct 27 2003, 06:25 PM
Post #8

Expert

Member No.: 1,669

UPSIDE-DOWN STUFFED BELL PEPPERS

Cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 small bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
1 (10 3/4-oz.) can French onion soup
1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 soup can of water
1 1/2 cups raw brown rice
salt and red and black peppers, to taste
6 large whole red or green bell peppers

1. In a large Dutch oven (a what?), saut? in a small amount of cooking oil the onion, celery, chopped bell pepper and garlic. Add the raw ground beef and brown well. Add soups, water, rice, salt, black pepper and red pepper. Mix well. Cook until heated through.

2. Cut the stem ends off the whole bell peppers. Scoop out seeds and clean well.

3. Spray a (8x13-inch) baking dish with nonstick vegetable spray.

4. Stuff each pepper about three-fourths full of the rice mixture. Quickly invery each pepper, rice side down, into the baking dish.

5. Put the remaining rice mixture around the peppers. Cover the dish tightly and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Do not open the cover until the cooking is complete.

You can make this just rice dressing by putting it in a baking dish that's been srayed with nonstick spray, covering the dish and baking it at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

This serves six if you want everyone to have a whole pepper. Serves 12 if ya cut 'em in half.

Ooo...this'd be fun for christmas--you could use red and green peppers (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Doesn't this just sound awesome? God knows I'm an awful cook...perhaps I could get my mommy to make it!

Enjoy!
Em

Oh, and I have a few cajun recipes that I could modify if anyone's interested. Ya know, gumbo, jambalaya and red beans and rice to name a few. (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Kate
post Oct 27 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #9

Master

Member No.: 388

MOM'S TOMATO ASPIC

Make sugar free lemon jello according to directions with V-8 instead of water. For eack package of jello used add

2/3 cup diced celery
1/4 cup green olive and pimento pieces

or add 2/3 cup drained veggie salad - see previous post for recipe

Also can add:
walnut or pecan pieces
choped water chestnuts

Chill till firm in a ring mold or 8x8 brownie pan. Serve on lettuce with a dollop of mayo.

+Quote Post
lekililina
post Nov 12 2003, 06:48 PM
Post #10

Master

Splenda Pumpkin Pie

1 prepared pie crust (yes, I know, but oh well)

1 15oz can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup Splenda Granular
2 TBS corn starch (not that much spread out over a whole pie)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 egg white
1/3 cup fat free half-and-half
3 TBS heavy cream
1 TBS vanilla
1 tsp sugar-free maple syrup

Preheat oven to 400.

Blend pumpkin puree, Splenda Granular, cornstarch, spices and salt in a medium bowl. Mix until all ingredients are well blended. In a separate bowl mix together the remaining ingredients. Stir well. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir well.

Pour pumpkin filling into a prepared piecrust. Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until set in the center and the crust is golden.

+Quote Post
yvetteu
post Nov 16 2003, 02:02 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,464

If you don't want to use a prepared pie crust, you can try this:

Basic Pie Crust (1 pie shell - 9 inch)
From Sugar Less For Life! ...with the Brennans

1 1/2 cups stone ground whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks of butter or margarine, room temperature
4 Tbsp. cold water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Mix flour and salt together, add butter or margarine, and work into the flour by hand or with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Sprinkle water on dough, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring lightly with fork. Form dough into a cake. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until the crust is about 1/8 inch thick and 2 inches larger than your inverted pan. Trim and crimp the edges. Prick pie shell all over to prevent puffing and swelling while baking. Bake in oven for 6 minutes with edges covered with foil and 4 to 6 minutes with the foil removed.

------------------

To any of you who don't have them, I HIGHLY recommend the cookbooks put out by the Brennans. I have 2 of them and have used so many recipes out of them I can't even count anymore. It really helps you get used to cooking the SB way.

+Quote Post
shel1210
post Nov 16 2003, 04:04 PM
Post #12

Master

Member No.: 67

Thanks for that pie crust recipe yvetteu! I've been looking for a good pie crust recipe! (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I think I'm going to check out buying the cookbooks by the Brennans....they seem to get quite alot of kudos from everyone!

+Quote Post
euharlee2003
post Nov 16 2003, 05:07 PM
Post #13

Regular

Member No.: 1,925

The pie crust recipe sounds great -- I needed a "legal" pie crust recipe. It's fairly easy to come up with fillings that are acceptable, but this is the first crust recipe I've seen that is OK on SB and also sounds good.

Em, my mouth started watering when you mentioned converting a gumbo recipe. That would be wonderful. Whenever we go to Savannah, I have to go to the Pirate's House restaurant for their seafood gumbo -- it is so good. I have never made any myself, but if you can come up with a "legal" version, it would be very much appreciated.

I want to try all these Thanksgiving recipes. I'll put my thinking cap on to see if I can come up with some of ours that I can convert.

Euharlee

+Quote Post
lekililina
post Nov 19 2003, 03:06 AM
Post #14

Master

Leslie's Totally Legal Crustless Pumpkin Pie

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

scant 3/4 cup Splenda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 eggs, beaten
1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) EVAPORATED milk

Mix Splenda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in small bowl. In large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in pumpkin and Splenda-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into 9-inch pie plate lightly sprayed with cooking spray.

Bake in preheated 425 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 40-50 minutes longer, until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

I've outdone myself this time. My mom (Atkins) LOVES this, and it's not going to last long. This might be good with heavy cream that's been whipped and sweetened with just a TOUCH of Splenda, but I wouldn't want anything too sweet on top of it.

+Quote Post
kodakstapler
post Nov 19 2003, 05:48 AM
Post #15

Expert

Euharlee--No problem! I love southern cooking (born and raised...) and my mom made the SB-friendly stuff when i was younger. It tastes lovely!

I'll put it up as soon as I can get my grubby little paws on it!

Later,
Em

+Quote Post
euharlee2003
post Nov 19 2003, 12:39 PM
Post #16

Regular

Leslie,

Thanks for the legal pumpkin pie recipe -- I will definitely try it! It sounds SO good.

Em, I look forward to seeing your southern recipes. Yum-yum. I'm a native southerner and it's hard to get away from our roots. Personally, I have to draw the line at frying or deep frying because it just doesn't set well with my system but since it's not very good diet wise I guess (as Martha says) "that's a good thing". I think I've dieted for so long my body doesn't like all that grease anymore! I know our ancestors ate a lot of the things we now hear are bad for us, but they were also walking everywhere they went and working in the fields.

You both are great!

Euharlee

+Quote Post
kodakstapler
post Nov 19 2003, 05:41 PM
Post #17

Expert

Euharlee, where are ya from? I'm a Lake Charles native, currently residing in Baton Rouge!

Much love,
Em

+Quote Post
euharlee2003
post Nov 19 2003, 07:22 PM
Post #18

Regular

Em, I'm Georgia born and lived here all my life. I live north of Atlanta. I don't think I've ever been to Louisiana but one time. We came there when the World's Fair (or maybe it was called the World Expo) was in New Orleans. I think that was about 1984. Anyway, after reading about all the restaurants with the SB menus, I think New Orleans would make a good vacation spot. Whenever I go anywhere I might not be able to tell anyone about the scenery, but I sure can remember all about the food!

+Quote Post
kodakstapler
post Nov 20 2003, 01:20 AM
Post #19

Expert

Euharlee--

SOrry, I assumed you were from LA. (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) If you go to New Orleans, there's no doubt you'd remember the scenery! NO is beautiful if you go to the right places. THe food is spectacular as well. Beignets, Mmmmm....gumbo...oysters! Yum!

Lol, born in 1985 here. I miss that fair!

See ya
Em

+Quote Post
euharlee2003
post Nov 20 2003, 01:28 AM
Post #20

Regular

We were only in New Orleans a couple of nights and with a group on a bus, so we didn't get to do a lot of sightseeing. We did take a zoo cruise and I remember a little about that and about the French Quarter and Bourbon Street. We actually stayed in another town -- I think it was Slidelle or something like that.

Gosh, if you weren't born then, you are a mere child! LOL.

You're fun to chat with.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 10:35 AM