IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Recipe Format
> Lessons Learned, So others don't find out the hard way...
Cyranon
post Nov 11 2003, 03:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,887

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." - Dan Stanford
So we may learn basic cooking "trivia" from each-other, post here what tips and questions you have picked up on cooking the SB way.

I found out, for example that WW flour is more resistant to burning than white. Gives us non gormet bakers a little more leeway. (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

In making a pie filling (using Oregon brand tart cherries, no sugar added) I discovered that Splena doesnt thicken....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
davew
post Nov 11 2003, 07:57 PM
Post #2

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

Alton Brown (Good Eats) pointed out that there are recipes and there are fromulas. Sounds like him, doesn't it. The recipes are the flavorings that you can change pretty much at will to try variations on theme.

The formulas are what you have to do to make a recipe work. Examples of formulas are baking powder and baking soda, and the right amount relative to the rest of the ingredients. Sugar is unusual in that is usually part of both the recipe and the formula. As a formula element, it can provide thickening, syrup, texture (think of taffy) and setting up (as in a cake). Don't forget the toppings, crumb topping and icing, too. It browns well, don't try that with Equal.

Using a sugar substitute is very easy if it is just a recipe element (flavor/sweet), but can be tricky if you have to modify the formula. Sometimes you may need to compensate for the lost traits of sugar in that recipe.

I know this doesn't help tell you what to do, but if you have a disaster, you may have an idea where to take it if you want to try again.

Dave
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th January 2018 - 07:40 AM