Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Recipe Format
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plantain Chips, Potato Chip Alternative
post Feb 2 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,098

If you have access to a food dehydrator, I have learned that homemade plantain chips are a satisfying alternative to chips and are great for dipping too. I seasoned mine with a very little bit of salt, Splenda, cinnamon, and chili powder.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Feb 2 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,300

Just wondering. Aren't Plantains in the bananna family (which I thought weren't "legal" for SB)? I know that plantains aren't as sweet as their cousins usually found in your local grocery, but since I had never heard anything on their legality I thought I would ask.

There are a lot of local mexican/El Salvadoran resturants that serve fried plantains with their dinner. Just wondering if I should avoid them or not.

+Quote Post
post Feb 2 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 90

Plantains actually have a pretty low GI at 40. I'd be careful in restaurants, though, if they cook them with added sugar. If they are with dinner, they are probably better than as part of a dessert.

+Quote Post
post Feb 3 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #4

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 67

You also need to be careful with dehydrated foods....the dehydrating process concentrates the sugars and usually makes the GI higher. (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th March 2018 - 06:11 PM