Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Recipe Format
> Sprouting, "make" your own sprouts
maccsale
post Jun 7 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749

I found a recipe recently on how to grow your own sprouts. Having industrious 5 and 3 year old children, I thought we'd try it. COULDN'T HAVE BEEN EASIER!! And we've been enjoying the freshest alfalfa sprouts we've ever eaten. It was fun for the kids, too.

Seeds are available at most healthier stores in bulk. You'll need a large clear glass jar, square sides is ideal since it will sit on its side; a piece of flexible screen or mesh (I used 3 layers of fine tulle from a fairy halloween costume (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ), and a large rubber band.

Soak seeds in water in the jar fitted with mesh and rubber band, in a 1 part seed to 3 parts water ratio for 6-8 hours (start before bed time, for example). Then pour out water through the mesh and drain well. Shake jar sideways the spread seeds along side of jar. Lay jar on its side in a cupboard or somewhere warm and dark, or keep on counter covered well with a thick towel. Morning and night for the next few days, run water into the jar through the mesh and then pour out and drain well. In 2-3 days you'll have a bunch of sprouts. Leave them out on the counter another 1-2 days (still rinsing and draining a.m. and p.m.) to grow the little green tops and increase the chloriphyl (sp?). Refrigerate for several days, maybe rinsing and draining well every other day (if you can keep them that long). You can do this with many types seeds, beans, lentils, etc. I'm sure there is an abundance of info on the internet.

I have been putting these things on my sandwiches, using them for the base of salads instead of lettuce, etc. Next I will sprout some wheat and experiment with making sprouted wheat bread.

I hope you enjoy this fun and tasty project!

Anita
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- maccsale   Sprouting   Jun 7 2004, 01:55 PM
- - sam-I-am   Thanks Anita! I LOVE fresh sprouts, and have ...   Jun 9 2004, 01:35 PM
- - maccsale   Sam, I hope you have great success! This same...   Jun 9 2004, 07:26 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2018 - 05:03 AM