IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Recipe Format
> Pan Bagnat - French Tuna Salad Sandwich, Not for the faint of heart!
maccsale
post Jul 17 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749

Pan Bagnat (French Tuna Salad) - 4 servings

1# loaf hearty crusty bread (I used a multi grain whole grain baguette)
1-2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed (or could try arrugula)
2 - 6 oz cans tuna IN OLIVE OIL* (will not be the same with water tuna)
3 Tbsp lemon juice
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup mixed olives, chopped (I used green manzanilla and pitted kalamata)
1/2 cup diced sweet onion or red onion
coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Slice loaf of bread lengthwise into a top and bottom half. Scoop out center of bread leaving 3/4" thick shell. Line bottom with half the basil leaves.

In a bowl, mix the tuna, undrained, with the remaining ingredients, mixing well and breaking up the tuna chunks. Spoon all the salad evenly over bottom of loaf. Top with more basil and the top part of the bread. Cut sandwich in half (if using a long, narrow loaf) and wrap each half very tightly in plastic wrap. Place a heavy pan or cutting board atop the two sandwiches (placed parallel to each other) and weight with heavy cans or a whole watermelon as I did. Allow to sit for 20 minutes, then unwrap and enjoy. You'll need a fork to get all the parts that fall out as you eat this slightly messy treat!

I have a few tips of my own to add: I tried 1 can of tuna in olive oil and one can of lightly smoked tuna in sunflower oil. I might try all smoked tuna next time, as it was a good change from the recipe. I ate the leftover salad on Wasa crackers and thought it was just as good as the sandwich. I also thought it was better having spent the night in the fridge. But it was excellent the first night too. Make sure the whole family eats it so no one has to suffer through onion and tuna breath! ( (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) All for one and one for all!!!)

This came from the August issue of Bon Appetit, in the "Every Night Cooking" section. We will definitely have this again! (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by maccsale: Jul 17 2004, 07:28 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2018 - 08:36 AM