Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Recipe Format
> Meatballs
maccsale
post Jul 29 2004, 02:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749

Makes about 40 1" balls - I usually double recipe and freeze in meal-sized batches.
(Believe it or not, this makes a pretty good meatloaf recipe, too, minus cheese.)

1 # lean ground beef
1/2 # lean ground pork sausage (I like Bob Evans Italian, very lean)
1 Cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
6 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I have omitted when I didn't have - was fine)
1 Tbsp Olive oil (I have also omitted this...)
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp grated fresh lemon peel (this is key)
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste, if desired

I use my food processor for this. If I make a double recipe, I process the meat in batches, place in a big bowl and go to town mixing by hand!

Preheat oven to 350. In processor bowl or mixer, soak bread crumbs in milk. Add egg, cheese, parsley, garlic, lemon peel, allspice, salt & pepper. Pulse a few times to mix. Add sausage. Pulse several times to mix well. Put this mixture in large bowl. Add beef to processor and process until meat is a finer grind, place in bowl. Using hands, squish this around until well mixed together. I use my small cookie scoop (maybe a Tbsp?) to make balls first, loading them on a cookie sheet with sides lined with foil. After I have balls scooped, I roll them between my hands to compact them more. Place a 1/2 inch apart and bake about 20 minutes. Check after 15 to see that they don't burn on bottom, depending on your oven. You can shake the pan every 5 minutes to keep their round shape a little rounder, otherwise they will be a little flat on the bottom. (They still taste good...)

Allow to cool completely, then put in zipper bags in the amount you'd eat at one meal, freeze so that they are separated in the bag, then when frozen, remove all the air you can. You can also freeze them in sauce (see recipe below). Enjoy!

Anita

This recipe is from a 1968 Time-Life Books "Foods of the World" Series - "The Cooking of Italy" with the only change being the whole wheat bread crumbs.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- maccsale   Meatballs   Jul 29 2004, 02:14 AM
- - shel1210   I must say that even though I'm not a meatball...   Jul 31 2004, 03:02 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2018 - 12:47 AM