Forum Rules Recipe Format

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> bread recipes, anyone?
.BA
post Mar 1 2003, 07:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Any bread makers out there have some good recipes?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
primdlite
post Mar 4 2003, 05:07 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 109

Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread

Makes: 1 - 1 1/2 lb. loaf
Breadmachine recipe

1 1/2 c. warm water
2 T. soft butter
2 1/4 c. SGWW flour
1/2 c. oatmeal
1 1/2 t. salt
2 t. yeast

Put ingred. in order in breadmachine.

prim

+Quote Post
2sweet4me
post Feb 26 2007, 04:15 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,498

Hello Everyone! I need your help! I would love to try this recipe for SGWW bread, but my machine only makes 1 pound loaves. Is there anyone out there who can do the math for me?? Wasn't one of my best subjects in school (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Thanks and have a gr8 day

+Quote Post
easyecm
post Mar 2 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #4

Master

Member No.: 3,903

QUOTE (2sweet4me @ Feb 26 2007, 09:15 AM) *
Hello Everyone! I need your help! I would love to try this recipe for SGWW bread, but my machine only makes 1 pound loaves. Is there anyone out there who can do the math for me?? Wasn't one of my best subjects in school (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Thanks and have a gr8 day

Just divide by 3, then mutiply by 2.

Example, yeast 2 ts, divide by 3 = 2/3ts X2 = 1 1/3ts ( I would round off to 1 1/2ts.

+Quote Post
2sweet4me
post Mar 2 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #5

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.. I plan to try this over the weekend. (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
easyecm
post Mar 6 2007, 10:04 PM
Post #6

Master

Let me know how it works out.
I saw a bread machine book in the store and when comparing the 2 sizes, it looked like it did the same thing I did.
Good luck,
Ed

This post has been edited by easyecm: Mar 6 2007, 10:05 PM

+Quote Post
2sweet4me
post Mar 17 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #7

Hi Ed, I tried the recipe last weekend, and the loaf turned out extremely small! The texture was dense, but it tasted OK. It only rose to about half the size I expected. I do not know if my measurements were correct, as I stated in my original message about my lack of math skills (especially fractions it seems (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ). I DO know how important correct measurements are especially in baking, so I must assume that I did not have the correct amount of yeast in there (if not one of the other ingredients as well). I think I only used one teaspoon of the yeast. I do have to laugh at myself, because Im not a total dummy, just horrible at math.... I will try this again (with any suggestions given by this board), because I DO want to have bread again on occasion! Thanks again for your help Ed, I will let you know how the next loaf turns out. Teri

+Quote Post
dsg1012
post Mar 17 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,975

QUOTE (2sweet4me @ Mar 17 2007, 11:27 AM) *
Hi Ed, I tried the recipe last weekend, and the loaf turned out extremely small! The texture was dense, but it tasted OK. It only rose to about half the size I expected. I do not know if my measurements were correct, as I stated in my original message about my lack of math skills (especially fractions it seems (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ). I DO know how important correct measurements are especially in baking, so I must assume that I did not have the correct amount of yeast in there (if not one of the other ingredients as well). I think I only used one teaspoon of the yeast. I do have to laugh at myself, because Im not a total dummy, just horrible at math.... I will try this again (with any suggestions given by this board), because I DO want to have bread again on occasion! Thanks again for your help Ed, I will let you know how the next loaf turns out. Teri

a packet of yeast is 3 teaspoons. a full loaf of bread would use one packet. mine makes 1 1/2 pound loaf. if yours makes a one pound loaf I would use two teaspoons and add a dab of honey to make it rise. Yeast needs sugar to rise properly. Hope that helps. dona

+Quote Post
easyecm
post Mar 18 2007, 01:28 PM
Post #9

Master

Dona,
You are right, but she can use 1 tsp of honey as it is eaten by the yeast and doesnt affect the finished loaf.

Teri,
Another thing I forgot, you could add "vital wheat gluten" as this will help the SGWWF rise. Btw, does your machine have a whole wheat cycle? That would help too, because it allows more time to rise and maybe an extra rising cycle. But not sure about the extra risiung cycle thing.

Good luck,
Ed

+Quote Post
2sweet4me
post Mar 20 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #10

Dona and Ed,
Thank you so much for the tips! I now understand why my loaf was so small, I only used about half the yeast needed. And Ed, yes, my machine has the whole wheat cycle, and I did use it. I kinda figured the same as you. I also saw the wheat gluten and honey in another recipe, so I think I will give those suggestions a try after I go grocery shopping again. I really want to make this work, as wheat bread is about the only common food that my husband and I can share. He has Crohns disease and can only tolerate highly processed foods. Not only is this a cooks nightmare, but I am constantly having to look at "illegal" foods in my cupboard. I actually started cheating by eating a twinkie here and there-----YUK. I never ate or liked twinkies before, but they were available when I was weak. Anyhow... I will let you know how my next effort on the bread goes. Take care. Teri

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2018 - 12:51 AM