Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,522

1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
1 package active dry yeast
3-3 1/2 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

* (we also add about 1/4 cup of vital wheat gluten to give the yeast a boost, minced garlic, and dried basil for extra flavor)

1. Pour the water into a medium mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Strir gently with a fork until the yeast is completely dissolved.

2. Add 1 cup of flour, the olive oil and salt and stir with a wooden spoon *(add any additional ingredients at this time). Add a second cup of flour and mix again. Now the dough should be soft and start to come away from the sides of the bowl. Add more water by the tablespoon if the dough is too crumbly or dry.

3. Measure out the 3rd cup of flour. Sprinkle some over the work surface and flour your hands. Remove all the dough from the bowl and begin to work the mass by kneading in the additional flour a bit at a time. (See below for detailed instructions on kneading!)

4. Lightly oil a large bowl with olive oil. Roll the ball of dough around in the bowl to coat it with a thin film of oil. Tightly seal with plastic wrap or a sealing lid to trap in the moisture and heat to help the dough rise faster.

5. Put the bowl in a warm, draft-free place. A gas oven with a pilot light, or preheat an electric oven at 200 for 10 minutes, then turn the heat OFF. Let the dough rise for 30 to 45 minutes.

6. Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down by poking your fist into the center to let all the gases escape. Remove it from the bowl and knead again for about 1 minute. Then repeat steps 4-5 for an additional rising.

We usually make a double batch at a time. I use half the dough to roll out onto a cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 10 minutes, then cut into 8 individual rectangular pizzas. Without removing from the pan I spread a small amount of tomato sauce on each pizza and put the whole thing in the feezer. Once frozen, remove the individual pizzas from the pan and store in a ziploc freezer bag. When a pizza urge strikes, simply microwave one for about 40 seconds until thawed and warm. Add the desired toppings and put in a toaster oven on dark toast. Or use a conventional oven at about 400 degrees for 4-5 minutes. Or til the cheese is melted and golden. This has been SO handy with kids in the house!! (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

To knead the dough: Use the heel of your hand (or both hands) to push the dough across the floured work surface in one sweep. Clench the dough in your fist and twist and fold it over. Use a dough scraper (a spatula works) to help gather the wet dough that sticks to the surface into a ball while kneading. Repeat this action over and over again, adding only as much flour as it takes to keep the dough from sticking to your hands. Work quickly and don't be delicate! The kneading process should take 5 to 10 minutes. This is a great workout! (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
easyecm
post Jul 24 2006, 08:26 AM
Post #2

Master

Member No.: 3,903

Lg,

I have a bread machine and I think this will do fine on the dough cycle.
Mine will mix, kneed, rise, kneed, and rise again. Then it beeps when it is done.

Then use it as any other dough.

I would look at it while it mixes, if it looks dry add a little liquid, if wet add a little flour.

Take care,
Ed

This post has been edited by easyecm: Jul 24 2006, 08:27 AM

+Quote Post
lgpars
post Jul 24 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #3

Lurker

Member No.: 5,334

QUOTE (easyecm @ Jul 24 2006, 04:26 AM)
Lg,

I have a bread machine and I think this will do fine on the dough cycle.
Mine will mix, kneed, rise, kneed, and rise again. Then it beeps when it is done.

Then use it as any other dough.

I would look at it while it mixes, if it looks dry add a little liquid, if wet add a little flour.

Take care,
Ed

Thanks, Ed. I figured it would probably do fine.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2018 - 08:33 PM