IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Are Sugar Free Candies So High In Carbs?
9puppies
post Nov 19 2005, 05:18 AM
Post #1

Lurker

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,862

they are like 14g or even 21g per serving. They may be low in calories, but too high in Carbs. Why is that?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
easyecm
post Nov 20 2005, 05:55 AM
Post #2

Master

Member No.: 3,903

Most "sugar free" candies are sweetened with a mix of sweeteners, and usually have "alcohol sugars".
The true or "net" carb affect would be the total carbs, minus the fiber (if any)and alcohol sugars.
So, they may seem high in carbs at first, but the "total carb effect" is much lower.
However, some people have problems with alcohol sugars, like a laxative effect. So I do not eat them much and if I do it is 1-2 pieces.

+Quote Post
easyecm
post Nov 20 2005, 05:57 AM
Post #3

Master

Btw, alcohol sugars, include stuff like malitol and sorbitol.

Sorry, I always have these 2nd thoughts after I submit the post. lol!

+Quote Post
9puppies
post Nov 20 2005, 08:26 AM
Post #4

Lurker

Member No.: 3,862

The true or "net" carb affect would be the total carbs, minus the fiber (if any)and alcohol sugars.
So, they may seem high in carbs at first, but the "total carb effect" is much lower.

Thankss for the reply! I have a bag of Brachs Sugar Free candies (Splenda) in my hands.The total carbs is 21g, and 0g fiber, and 21g sugar alcohols. Does that mean this bag of candies has a true(net) carb of zero per serving? Wow. I don't think they gave me a laxative effect. If I don't care about the calories (60 per serving for 10 pieces in this case), does it mean I could eat the whole bag because it basically has no carb? (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) You probably could see that I miss eating candies a lot, lol.

+Quote Post
easyecm
post Nov 20 2005, 09:09 AM
Post #5

Master

Things in moderation I think is the way to look at it.
I personally got the extra weight I had by eating too much, and of course the wrong foods!
Not evryone has a bad effect from alcohol sugars.
But again, I wouldn't eat a whole bag of cany, and I don't count calories anyway.
Good luck and glad I could help.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 03:15 AM