Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Glycemic Index, glycemic index /American Diet Associatio
CRYSTAL
post Apr 17 2006, 01:53 PM
Post #1

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,340

I was looking around on internet under American Dietetic Association and found a topic on Glyemic index. It was stating that the Glycemic index has recently gained attention as a possible tool for controlling appetite and managing weight/blood glucose levels.

It stated-" The Gi does not measure how rapidly blood glucose levels increase as is claimed by some popular diet books. Research has found that blood glucose levels peak at about the same time regardless of the carbohydrate source. Also, the body's insulin response to a specific food is not directly related to the carbohydrate content of the food or the GI value."

The major appeal of grouping food by GI is the potential for making meal planning easier, especially for people with diabet4s. But it's not that simple. Here's why:
. A food can have different GI values as a result of how ripe it is, its variety, how it is cooked and how it has been processed, and from country to country.
. The GI of a food varies significantly from person to person. For some individuals, it can even vary from day to day.
. The GI of a food eaten alone is different than when it is eaten with another food. For example, if a high GI food is eaten in combination with a low GI food, the GI response is moderate.
. Standard test portions of foods used for determing GI are not the usual portion sizes that individuals consume.
. The GI is not a reliabel guide for healthy food choices. Although many healthy foods have a low GI, there are also foods of questionble nutritional value with low or moderate GI values such as soft drinks, candies, sugars and high fat foods.

Bottom Line- At this time, research does not support the claim that a low GI diet causes significant weight loss or helps control appetite. Fore people with diabetes, monitoring total grams of carbohydrate remains the key strategy. However, some individuals with diabetes may be able to use the GI concept, along with blood glucose monitoring, to "fine-tune" their food choices to produce a modest improvement in postmeal blood glucose levels.

But as a fact I can say this type of eating does work, I have done it before with this woe. Just thought you might find this interesting also.

Sorry its so long.

Crystal (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Kate
post Apr 20 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Master

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 388

Hi Crystal and Rose,

Ed and Dave both have good points. When I first started SB, I was also newly diagnosed with diabetes. Although my tests showed that I was on the low end of the scale, with a very long history of insulin dependent type 2 diabetes in my family, I was scared about what was in store for me if I didn't make major changes.

So, although I needed to loose weight, my main SB goal has always been to eat smart and feel better. I went to the ADA education classes, learned what they recommended and figured out what works best for me. One thing I noticed years ago, even before I found SB, is that for me, if I limit breads I decrease my waist circumference. Breads have always seemed to "fluff" up my tummy, which makes me feel thick and sluggish. So, at first I was very strict about the kinds of starchy carbs and the frequency eating them. Because I need to have a way to deal with and track what foods do to my glucose levels, the ADA carbs per meal guidelines + the SB woe make perfect sense - with my starchy (breads/pastas) carb twist. I get the roughage and carbohydrates I need from alternate sources - fruits, nuts, seeds and veggies - rather than lots of grains. I've found a good bread that is mainly made from seed flours for sandwiches and I take a good multi vitamin daily. If I get slack for a while and eat more than one or two pieces of WW bread in a week, I notice I don't feel so trim anymore. Clothes start to feel tight around the waist, I have achy joints, and trouble getting up in the morning.

After detoxing from all kinds sugars, I kept a chart of what I ate for a few weeks. I incorporated the good foods I would normally eat, wrote down everything I ate and the carb content and counted the carbs per meal according to the ADA recommendations. (Any good cookbook will have a nutrient content food list and the info is available on line also). By the time I let the charting slide, I had a long list of things that I knew I could eat without thinking about it anymore.

I guess this post is a long way of saying that paying attention to what your particular body is telling you and then adjusting SB to fit your goals is easy.

I think this is the post Dave mentioned

(IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2018 - 12:39 PM