Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Why Is Everyone So Down On Splenda?
post Jan 7 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,614

I am surprised to read all the neg stuff about Splenda in these forums. I have read some "bad" things about it, but most have been generated from that whack job Joseph Mercola.

I have found splenda to be a great sugar substitute. Took a while to get used to it's "lighter" strength than Sweet & Low or Equal, but I have, and even better that I am enjoying things "less" sweet these days. And the health issues with S&L and Equal make it the hands down thing to do.

I have tried Stevia and that one that people say tastes like licorice (cant remember the name at the moemnt). Both were terrible.

Can anyone comment?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Start new topic
post Jan 21 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

My lists show agave with a GI of 10 or 11. It is either 90 or 97% fructose.

Splenda is about 600 times sweeter than sugar, so the amount of this per serving is really small. In order to make the little yellow packages feel right and provide the right amount of sweetening, a bulking agent is used. This is dextrose maltodextrin. Read the label. I don't know the GI of this, but I think it is quite high. Dextrose is 100 as it is the reference for the GI system. Maltodextrose is about 120, but I don't know about maltodextrin (not the trin vs trose ending, this means something to the chemisty folks, but not to me. Tthe trose is a sugar, but I don't know what the trin is).

So, the GI of the home version of Splenda is actually much higher than fructose or it's natural form, agave.

If you buy commercial products, particularly soft drinks, sweetended with splenda, they probably were sweetened with the pure stuff, not the stuff bulked up like the home product. So then, the GI is zero.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st March 2018 - 07:14 AM