IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Found A Very Active New Site, GREAT SITE WITH RECIPE CALCULATOR
dsg1012
post Feb 20 2007, 03:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,975

PLEASE COME TO THIS SITE TO CHECK IT OUT. IT IS VERY ACTIVE AND I HAVE STARTED A LOW GI FORUM. IT HAS A RECIPE CALCULATOR AND EVERYTHING. IT IS SO GREAT TO TYPE IN THE RECIPE AND GET THE FULL BREAKDOWN OF CAL, CARB ETC.

SPARKPEOPLE NUTRITION IS THE SITE.

DONA1012 IS MY NAME IN THERE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
jokeje
post Apr 20 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #2

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,333

Hi, ALL!!

Welcome, Lindsay! I agree with Molly - good questions and keeping asking! I've read the book about 3 or 4 times now and continue to connect the dots and learn new things.

A couple of key things to think about
  • Moderation - like someone said in a post above...even too much of a lg good becomes a hg food!
  • Avoid consuming high GI foods with large amounts of protein (don't eat fruit with a steak - this is covered in the book somewhere under the chemical interactions: glucagon vs. insulin production)
  • SMALL amounts of "illegal" things periodically aren't going to derail you unless you let it into all your foods (i.e., the small quantities of cornstarch in the Garden Herb Triscuits) I think somewhere on the board is a guideline...avoid foods where sugar is in the first 5 ingredients? (Kate - didn't you post that somewhere?)
  • Some people do better drawing a line in the sand and jumping right in...others do better attacking one area of the food stuff at a time (cutting out nightly desserts, giving up regular sodas, etc...). Do what will keep you going on this without getting frustrated. Molly is right - pretty soon this will be 2nd nature - you will begin losing the taste for certain "bad" foods.
  • Cook once and freeze individual portions if your time is tight, then you'll be able to eat healthier and more balanced meals.
  • PLAN MENUS AHEAD!! If you plan, you will be less likely to grab a burger and fries on the run because of convenience.
  • Drink lots of water - even mild dehydration can negatively impact you.
  • Knowledge is power!! You wrote that you hate reading the nutrition labels. At first it was horribly confusing, but now I even have my 10 year old looking at them!! She's starting to be able to tell what is acceptable and what's off limits!
I hope this isn't overload! Hang in there!! You CAN do this!

Joanie

This post has been edited by jokeje: Apr 20 2007, 06:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th February 2018 - 01:33 AM