Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whole Wheat Bread, Awesome bread!
lfc
post Apr 10 2003, 11:09 PM
Post #1

Regular

Group: Members
From: South Texas - less than an hour from South Padre Island and Mexico.
Member No.: 328

(IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I've done it twice and it turned out both times. This is for one loaf. The first time it was doubled and fine. The second time I cut it in half and it was still great.

Microwave warm:
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 stick butter
2 T honey
Make sure this is not too hot when mixed into dry mix. It should just be barely warm to the touch.

Mix the dry:
3 cups Whole wheat White
3 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
12 Tbsp. vital wheat gluten

Combine the two and let sit in bowl 5 minutes. *** Turn on oven to 200 and turn it off when you continue to next step ***

Begin to add flour 1/2 cup at a time until it pulls away from the bowl into a kneadable dough. (It will be a little bit tacky to the touch, but doesn't gum up on your hands)

Knead a good long time, at least 10 minutes by hand. ( I actually mix it in my KitchenAid a little while and then knead 10 minutes or so. I love to knead bread)

Put oil in bowl and coat, then put dough in and roll top in oil turn over. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and place in warmed oven (Make sure it is not HOT inside)

Let rise until doubled and then gently deflate and knead well, two or three minutes. Cut in 1/2 and shape into two loaves and place in bread pans. Cover and rise until just rounded to top of pan. Place (uncovered) in preheated 350 degrees and bake until browned top and bottom, approximately 30 - 40 minutes. (I didn't look at the time. I just check it around 30 minutes and then keep an eye on it.)

Hope it turns out for you, too. Let me know!

Linda
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_beckdar6_*
post Apr 13 2003, 03:19 PM
Post #2

Guests

Where can I purchase wheat gluten? Is it a flour-type mixture also?

+Quote Post
.BA
post Apr 14 2003, 12:32 AM
Post #3

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

You should be able to find it the same place you buy whole wheat. Most grocery stores carry it.

+Quote Post
lfc
post Apr 14 2003, 10:55 PM
Post #4

Regular

From: South Texas - less than an hour from South Padre Island and Mexico.
Member No.: 328

I get it in bulk from the health food store an hour away. The one local didn't even know what it was. So... a GOOD health food store should have it. The first time I bought it was at my local grocery store. They were clearancing it and I bought all they had for $1 a bag. I'd never used it before. Now, I get a gallon jar full at a time and it lasts a couple of months. It has made such a difference in the softness and flexibility of my bread.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
mapgirl
post Apr 14 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #5

Regular

Member No.: 60

You can buy it from:

www.bobsredmill.com

This post has been edited by mapgirl: Apr 14 2003, 11:03 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_remmie_*
post May 29 2003, 04:12 AM
Post #6

Guests

I have been able to find wheat gluten at every grocery store out here (Seattle area). It took me a long time to find it because it has been marked "Gluten Flour" but if you look at the ingredients, it's just gluten.

If anyone is interested, here is the WW bread recipe that I made when we started this diet...

Dana's Whole Wheat Bread

2 cups warm water
1 T yeast
4 T gluten
palmful Splenda (1/4 cup, give or take)
3 T melted butter or margarine
1 t salt
4 cups stome ground whole wheat flour

Put the water and yeast in a large mixer bowl (mixer fixed with a hook attachment). Turn mixer on lowest setting until yeast dissolves. Add gluten and Splenda. Mixa bit (the gluten will be in little lumps). Add half of the flour and mix on a med speed (4 on my kitchen aid) until smooth. Add salt and remaining flour. Aix on medagain for about 3-5 min, pulling the dough off the hook when it gets too high. Removehook and let the dough rise for about 30 min, or until doubled. Punch it down and knead by hand for about a minute and shape into a loaf. Place dough in a loaf pan sprayed with PAM. Let rise again until the top of the dough is about 1" or so above the top of the pan. Bake at 350 F for 40 min.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 11:40 PM