Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Carrot Cake, I FINALLY DID IT!!!!!!!
momof3
post Apr 27 2003, 02:38 AM
Post #1

Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 286

(IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Hey all!! I don't know about you but ever since I started this WOE/WOL I have been trying to find a way to make a carrot cake(before changing everything, I made an AWESOME carrot cake). I know that carrots are only legal in moderation but I was determined to make one with "legal" ingredients!! And I have done it! Mind you it isn't as good as the "illegal" one but it sure hits the spot, and it's moist!!!! Which was what I was having the trouble getting one with SGWW to be. So, I thought I would share the recipe with all of you (just in case any of you liked carrot cake before). Also has an AWESOME cream cheese icing, that could be made for any other cake. Hope you enjoy!!! (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

?LEGAL? CARROT CAKE

2-Cups SGWW Flour
3-Tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten
1-Cup DiabetiSweet
1-teaspoon Baking Powder
? teaspoon Baking Soda
1-teaspoon Salt
1 & ? Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
1 & ? Cups Canola Oil
4 Eggs
1-Cup Water
3-Cups Chopped Carrots
1-Cup Chopped Pecans

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES.

Mix Flour and Vital Wheat Gluten together first. Add other dry ingredients and mix well. Add Canola Oil and mix well then add water and mix well. Add eggs (one at a time) mixing well after each egg. Add Carrots mix well, then add pecans and mix well. Pour into greased and floured pan (of your choice). I use the Spray Bakers Joy instead of greasing and flouring my pan.

You will just have to keep checking the cake while baking. IMO you should start checking it after 30 minutes if you use regular cake pans. I make mine in a sponge cake pan so I start checking it after 45 minutes.

Make sure that cake is cooled COMPLETELY before icing. Carrot cake is so heavy it takes awhile for it to cool.

CREAM CHEESE ICING

2-8 oz. Packages of Cream Cheese (can use reduced fat if you?d rather)
1-Cup DiabetiSweet
1-Teaspoon Vanilla Flavoring
? Cup 2% Milk (add more if you need to until desired spreading consistency)

Put cream cheese in mixing bowl and cream it then add DiabetiSweet and mix well. Add vanilla flavoring and mix well. Add ? cup milk and mix, if you need more milk I would suggest only adding ? cup at a time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brennannp
post Apr 27 2003, 02:47 AM
Post #2

Regular

Member No.: 198

This sounds great Della--its one of my favorites too. Can't wait to try it.

Brennan

+Quote Post
mapgirl
post Apr 27 2003, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Regular

Member No.: 60

Della, the cake sounds delicious..

Could you tell me what the main ingredient in the DiabetiSweet is and what the package looks like.. I didn't see any at the Wal-Mart the last time I checked. I did check in the Pharmacy area near the diabetic supplies..

+Quote Post
momof3
post Apr 27 2003, 08:24 PM
Post #4

Regular

Member No.: 286

DiabetiSweet is made with Isomalt and acesulfame-K. The packaging that I buy is a blue bag with a ziploc at the top. I don't really know how to describe it, I was going to take a picture of the bag but I used it all last night in the cake and icing and I threw it away!! Sorry! But I did find it at the Wal-Mart here and it was in the pharmacy with the other diabetic supplies but it was down toward the bottom shelf and was hard to find. My husband had looked for it first and overlooked it. You can buy it online at www.diabeticpromotions.com but it is about 2$ more per bag plus I think there is shipping and handling.(you also get a small cookbook free when you purchase it) That is how I purchased my first 2 bags of it and the cookbook is where I got the recipe for the Cream Cheese Icing.

I hope you can find it.

+Quote Post
mapgirl
post Apr 27 2003, 10:23 PM
Post #5

Regular

Member No.: 60

Hey Thanks.. I'll look for it again..

I do have 5 (soon to be 7) Wal-Marts near me!!! One of them is bound to have it!!

+Quote Post
shel1210
post Apr 28 2003, 12:12 AM
Post #6

Master

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 67

Della....

this sounds absolutely wonderful!!! I can't wait until I have the time and ambition to try it!

Thanks for posting it! (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

p.s.....how are you doing? Is everything getting more settled for you? We need to see if we can schedule a live chat soon so everyone can catch up with each other! (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2018 - 06:56 AM