Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Awesome bread -- part 2, some sub's I made that worked
lfc
post Jun 12 2003, 01:37 AM
Post #1

Regular

Group: Members
From: South Texas - less than an hour from South Padre Island and Mexico.
Member No.: 328

I ran low on my whole wheat white flour and sub'd about 1/2 with fresh ground pastry flour, decreased milk, added eggs, increased yeast and it rose so beautfully. The loafs were soft and big.
My changes are in bold italics.

2 1/4 cups milk
? stick butter
2 T agave (or honey)
???..Microwave or heat in pan until melted and warm. Cool to room temp (baby bottle warm to your wrist)

Pour in mixing bowl. Add:
3 cups whole wheat flour
4 tsp. Yeast
? cup vital wheat gluten (don?t try it without it)

Mix and let it proof the yeast for 5 or 10 minutes or between phone calls!
While it is proofing, turn on oven to 200 degrees for 5 minutes to just warm it.
Turn off oven and leave it closed.
Add:

1 ? tsp salt and 2 beaten eggs. Mix well.
Add whole pastry flour ? cup at a time until it cleans the bowl and is just a little sticky, but not gooey.

Knead at least 10 minutes until smooth and feels good! I love this part.

Check oven to make sure it?s comfortably warm. Place covered bowl in oven to rise doubled in bulk.
Remove. Knead at least 5 minutes.
Divide in two and shape into loaves. Place in greased bread pans and cover. Back into warm oven to rise double or just over the edge of the pan. Don?t let it rise too much.

[I]*** NOTE: I turned my oven barely on (maybe 125??) and let it rise and kept a close check on it, so it wouldn't over rise. When it was just over the pan I turned the oven on to 350 and baked until done.[/I]

Take out of oven and spray with oil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 40 minutes, more or less until brown on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped.

Rub butter on top of loaves, if desired. Cut off the end and put some all-fruit on it?mmmm! (IMG:http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 08:16 AM