Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blueberry-oatmeal Muffins
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
Ok, Em! You asked for it, here it is!! biggrin.gif

I took this recipe from a bag of frozen blueberries and adapted it to SB, then tweaked it a bit.

Yields: 12 muffins

1 cup oatmeal (calls for quick cooking, but I used old fashioned)
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1/4 cup sugar substitute (I found that 1/2 SweetNLow Brown and 1/2 Splenda is good)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
dash or so of nutmeg (or other yummy spice)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used cannola)
1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed and drained (or use 1 cup fresh)

Combine oats and buttermilk and let stand 5 minutes (I didn't do this). Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices in large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine oat mixture, egg, and oil; stir well. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Stir in blueberries. Spoon into muffin pan coated with cooking spray, filling 2/3 full. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes or until brown.

(I just dumped it all and mixed and still got a pretty good result...I didn't read all the instructions until just now!!!) blink.gif

I'll post the other one too, but I haven't made those yet.

Joanie, you are simply divine! Thank you SO much! I'll have something to make this weekend, yay!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

And whoa..where can I get that wholewheat pastry flour stuff? I didn't know there was a difference. I'm definitely not kitchen material. laugh.gif

No problem!! I LOVE blueberry muffins. We were really addicted to the Jiffy Mix ones which are NOT on SB, so I had to find a replacement. These aren't as easy, but they're SOOO good.

As far as the pastry flour, I found a brand called Arrowhead Mills and can get it at both Publix & Kroger. Comes in a 2lb bag, usually found in the organic and/or diet food aisle. You can really just use the regular WW flour...the pastry flour just gives a little softer texture. For a heartier muffin, you can certainly use all regular WW.

Also, since you sometimes have to buy a larger amount of buttermilk, there is a POWDER the dry milk/baking goods section. Goes a long way and has a long shelf life if you put in the fridge after opening. I really can't tell a difference. I used it in the first round of these muffins, then tried the regular difference! I guess in some things you'd know, but since I didn't soak my oats in it first, I'm not sure if it would work as well if you soak them like the REAL directions say!!

This winter I am going to play with the recipe and swap out cranberries for the blueberries! Maybe add a little OJ and orange rind....I'm hungry already!

Well, work is beckoning and I have a presentation in the morning after a 8:10am parent/teacher conference...I'm not prepared since the code isn't cooperating!!!!

How's the rugby coming? Sure wish you played in SC, but I'm not even sure we have ladies' ruby anywhere in the state!

Love ya,
another alternative for buttermilk is to use 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar plus enough regular milk to equal 1 cup, then let stand 5 minutes. i have a recipe for gingerbread that calls for buttermilk, and i can NOT tell the difference when i use the emergency substitute vs. buttermilk.

Thank you SO much. Blueberry muffins are my absolutel favorite breakfast item...Joanie, you've totally just made my week! biggrin.gif

Oh yah...Our team mostly plays in texas, because we're the only collegiate women's team in the state! wacko.gif BUT. If you'd be willing to drive, we're trying to go to a tourney in Tennesee in a few weeks. I'd love to have you come's definitely an interesting sport to partake in!

We're taking lots of pictures this season. I've been elected head of fundraising, so I'm putting together a huge portfolio to try and snag some cash because our team is POOR. We're such a rag tag team! Lol, just recently, we were practicing tackling, and we don't have tackling our coach grabbed the huge black duffle bag with all our stinky uniforms in it and used that to protect herself and we tackled her. EDIT: Okay, the point of that was to tell you I'll have pictures of all of us if you'd like to see them one day, woops! blink.gif

Anyway...we have a tournament in FL on the 18th-19th of this month so be thinking of me that weekend and hope i don't break myself. laugh.gif

Much love,
rolleyes.gif Hi Everyone! It seems I NEVER have time to bake anymore......But, I did find a desert cookbook online somewhere that uses lots of spelt & barley flours and uses brown rice syrup as a sugar substitute. The one thing I made so far was apple crisp which turned out ok.... The husband didn't it couldn't have been too bad.. I'll be glad to forward the recipes if anyone wants...

Another good baking idea is: When you're making something, measure out an extra set of the dry ingredients, mix them and put them into a plastic bag for future use... its kinda like having a mix on hand then.... all you have to do is add the eggs, oil, water or whatever.....

Wow Joanie, the recipe sounds GREAT!! I'll have to try them soon. Thank you!
All -

The girls and I made a batch for breakfast this morning...MMMMM!! I tried soaking the oats as the recipe calls for (I had been in a hurry and didn't read that part the first two times!) - it really DOES make a difference, so the oats can be soaking while you're doing the rest and pre-heating the oven.

Em...we'll be in Sarasota, FL over Thanksgiving...if you have a game in FL then, let me know!! And as for the pics, YOU BET!! We'd LOVE to see them! I use to have to play tackle football with the neighborhood girls and for some strange reason they wouldn't play dolls with me! My dad would make them let me play, then they'd give me the ball as an excuse to try to hurt me!! laugh.gif

Gotta run fix dinner...

Joanie, I'll keep ya posted!

Much love,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.