Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Garlic Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes
maccsale
Peel amount of potatoes desired (I always make 2x as much because this reheats and freezes well). Cover with water and bring to boil. Meanwhile coarsly chop 2-3 garlic cloves. Keep garlic pieces large enough that they will not come out when drained. Salt the water to your liking and boil potatoes until they are pretty soft.

Drain well and mash well leaving the garlic pieces in the potatoes (they will disappear as you mash). Add liquid (skim milk or heavy whipping cream or anything in between depending on your fat requirements) and butter if desired. We liberally apply freshly ground black pepper as well.

These are so good without any added sweet stuff and the garlic and pepper make them much like regular mashed potatoes. My husband is starting to like these better than reg. spuds and he is not even SBing!
jokeje
Thanks for sharing! This sounds GREAT!! I may try this tomorrow night as we're having sweet potatoes and pork chops!!
midler
Hi

Those sweet potatoes sound great. How much is one serving? I,m new to SB and I'm trying not to goof up. I know that meat is the size of your palm but not sure on serving sizes for veg and salads. Hope you can help me out.
Midler
maccsale
I have tried really hard to not worry about serving size too much. I always try starting out with "half of what I used to put on my plate," and taking very small seconds. I also try to eat more slowly so that my brain can catch up with my stomach (mostly accomplished by talking more...).

Thinking in terms of serving sizes and rules and measuring reminds me too much of DIETS and not a Way of Life.

As for the sweet potatoes, the ones in my store right now are HUGE so I usually cook 2 and have plenty of leftovers after my hubby and I have had all we want. (My children wouldn't touch anything mushy with a 10' pole, so we have them all to ourselves!)

Anita
lekililina
That sounds awesome! At first I was skeptical because I like my SWEET potatoes and wasn't sure about adding garlic to them, but I'm going to try it! Thanks!
maccsale
I found out these freeze very well also...

Anita

DUHHHH I guess I said that earlier...
midler
Thanks Anita for the advice. this board it great! Please keep up the good work.

Midler
lekililina
Anita, if you get a chance, you might want to re-post this recipe under the Thanksgiving Recipe thread! smile.gif
maccsale
How can I copy it elsewhere? Or do I have to retype it? Thanks for the suggestion. Has anyone tried them yet?

Anita
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.