Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Almoond Macaroons
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
davew
Almond macaroons are an Italian standard. They are also a portion of an English Trifle. The original used sugar, this has been modified to use Splenda, not tested.

1 cup whole almonds (preferably blanched), plus 16 whole raw almonds
2/3 cup splenda
1 large egg white
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly butter a baking sheet.
In a food processor pulse 1 cup almonds with splenda until ground fine. Add egg white, almond extract, and a pinch salt and pulse until combined. Roll mixture into 16 balls, about 1- inch in diameter, and arrange about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Slightly flatten balls, and gently press 1 almond into each cookie.

Bake macaroons in middle of oven 10 minutes, or until pale golden. Transfer macaroons to a rack and cool completely. Macaroons keep 4 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
krimas
These are good! I've just started SB and have been craving sweet and these have just enough to take the edge off! I had to vary things due to what was available in my pantry. I used Equal instead of Splenda and I didn't have raw almonds. I had a giant container of dry roasted/salted almonds so I omitted the salt from the recipe.

Thank you thank you!

Kris
3lilboysmom
Dave, I saw this exact recipe in a magazine this week and made them. They were really good. My boys gobbled them up. The only difference in the recipe I saw is that it called for a dollop of all-fruit on top instead of a whole almond. It also called for sugar, but the Splenda was wonderful in it.

smile.gif Pam
davew
Pam,

If you look at the original post , you will see "untested" in the text. I hate to admit it, but to this day, I've never made these with Splenda, as in the recipe.

I think I converted a favorite redipe with sugar to one that is sugar free to make this recipe. Seemed like a good idea then, and still is. I just haven't tried this version.

Macaroons are really one of the better cookies, as they are really a small, flavored meringue served as a cookie. If the flavors are sugar free, as with Splenda, they become totally legal. Legal fruit topping addes some caloreis but they are still legal.

The sugar free toping will make them a fruit carrier, the almond will be virtually carb free.

Glad they were a hit.

Dave
TheMadLady
I'm new to this message board and am excited about the various recipes. The recipe for the almond macaroons sound really good, and I look forward to trying it out!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.