Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cheesecake
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
davew
The original recipe came from Bon Apetite magazine, about 25 years ago. It is heavy, smooth, and the best ever. We actually have never made it with sugar substitue. Portions of Equal are listed here, Splenda or Agave could be used, I think. The sugar in this recipe is really for sweetening, not involved in texture or setting up. I don't know how to make graham cracker crust legal.

Enjoy!

CHEESECAKE
Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350. Lightly butter a 9 inch springform pan.

Crust:
1/4 Cup Butter, melted
2 Tbs Sugar or 1 tsp Equal (3 packets)
1 Package Graham Crackers (1 part of box)
Combine in Blender. Press into pan, covering bottom and sides.

Filling:
4 8 Ounce Packages Cream Cheese, room temperature
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar or 3 Tbs Equal (30 packets)
1 Tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
2 tsp vanilla

Beat cream Cheese in large bowl of mixer until smooth.
Add eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat thoroughly. Carefully fill springform pan.
Set pan on baking sheet to catch any overflow. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Don't worry about any cracks that may form. Remove from oven and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Keep oven at 350.

Topping
1 Cup Sour Cream
2 Tbs Sugar or 1 tsp Equal (3 packets)
1 tsp Vanilla

Combine and blend well. Refrigerate. When cake has cooled, spoon topping over cake starting at the center and working toward the sides. Return cake to oven for 5 minutes. Let cake cool then refrigerate for at least 24 hours, preferably 2 or 3 days.

Fresh strawberries are good on top as a garnish; I prefer it plain.
yvetteu
You can make a legal crust with Triscuits or nuts (pecans), or a combination of the two. Here is a recipe for a basic cheescake crust.

Triscuit Cracker Crust
from Sugar Less for Life! ...with the Brennans

1 cup crushed Low Sodium Triscuits*
1 1/2 tsp. granulated Sweet 'N Low**
1/4 cup softened butter or margarine

Mix all ingredients together and place in a lightly greased 9-inch pan.

-----------
NOTES:

* I usually crunch them up in the bag first and then put them in a blender or food processor to get the Triscuits into smaller crumbs.

** Or other dry sugar substitute equivalent to 3/8 cup of sugar. I've used 1/4 cup + 1/2 Tbsp. crystallized fructose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.