Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pumpkin Bread
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
shetexas
Hello,

Well, I've made my Pumpkin bread. It's not bad - if I say so myself. I've brought several samples to work to have by non sb testers tast. One good and one ok. I substituted Splenda for sugar and did not use the amount of oil and egg originally called for in the recipe. It's very moist. It baked for 1 & 1/2 hours - but was worth the wait. If anyone is interested in the recipe, let me know.

Shelley in Texas tongue.gif
lekililina
Oh yes, please post it!

Leslie
newbie2003
i want it too, let me know when you post it, sometimes i cant find a post i have been following
thanks
lekililina
You can always sign up to follow posts or be emailed when there's a reply. My favorite way to keep up with everything is to click on "View New Posts" at the top of the page. It will show you all the new posts since your last visit.
shetexas
[B]PUMPKIN BREAD

3 Cups - Splenda
2 Cups - Pumpkin
1 Cup - Water
2 Teasp. Baking Solda
1 Teasp. Cinnamon
1/2 Teasp. Nutmeg
1 Cup - Salad Oil
4 Eggs
3 & 1/3 cup Flour
1 & 1/3 teasp. Salt
1/2 Teasp. Cloves
1/2 Teasp. Baking Powder

Mix together all ingredients. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 & 1/2 Hour. This recipe says it makes 3 loaves.

I did not use the whole one cup of salad oil I used vegetable oil. I only used 3 eggs instead of four and the original recipe called for sugar - I substitued Splenda - and have listed it as so. Instead of adding the spices individually, I used Pumplin Pie Spice - 2 & 1/2 teasp. but I think it could have used a little more.

I'm still enjoying it - it's moist like most fruit or vegetable breads. I baked it in a rectangular pan since I did not have any "bread" pans. biggrin.gif

Shelley in Texas
euharlee2003
Shelly,

What kind of flour did you use? I've been baking my bread with stone ground whole wheat and wonder how it would do in this?

Thanks!
shetexas
oops,
I forgot, I used wheat flour.

Shelley In Texas tongue.gif
shel1210
Whole wheat pastry flour would probably work well in this also. biggrin.gif
lekililina
Yeah, but I CAN'T FIND IT HERE IN ALPENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thinking about running my SGWW flour thru the food processor and sifting it, if I can find a decently-priced food processor.

Leslie
euharlee2003
I've never seen the whole wheat pastry flour either. Would it say "stone ground" just like the other "legal" flour I buy.

I buy King Arthur flour (it was the cheapest) and it says it is 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour. I was surprised at the texture -- somewhere between regular flour and corn meal. I have been making some pretty good bread with it. Just learning to make bread in the machine and have tried several recipes -- the one that was the best was the one I messed up on the ingredients trying to increase it in my head as I went along. Now I have to "try" to remember the exact amounts I put in it. The last two have been almost gummy.

Any experienced bread makers out there with any tips or better yet a no-fail recipe for a bread machine?

(P.S. Leslie, I have noticed the static in Splenda. Your question wondering if they could capture the static and make Splenda marshmallows was a riot, but it occurred to me that you needed some sleep right then. That's why I wasn't on the forum for very long last night. Had been up since a little after 4 and was desparate for some sleep. Anyway, thanks for the light (no pun intended) note. It's great to be able to "chat" with all you folks who are SugarBusters)
shetexas
I have a book that I recently picked up - it's all about bread. I will try to remember to look at it tonight or tomorrow night - it talks about different kinds of bread machines, the different kinds of bread, what causes bread to rise or NOT, and adding stuff to make it rise. My memory fails me right now, but i seem to think there is something you add to wheat or rye or both to make them rise.

I've got a craft show tomorrow, so I might get to focused on that tonight to remember the bread question, but tomorrow night I should be back on the forum, so I should have the answer by then.

Shelley in Texas
ohmy.gif
krimas
Here is some info I have on breads that may help. It's wheat gluten that helps make it rise. when using SGWW (or other whole grain flour) add 1 1/2 to 3 tsps gluten per cup of flour. Many recipes will already call for the gluten. Vital wheat gluten and wheat gluten are the same thing. However Vital wheat gluten FLOUR is a different product and shouldn't be confused.

I have a whole wheat recipe that I'll be trying next week. It calls for molasses so I ordered some dark agave to substitute. Just awaiting delivery tongue.gif
Here is the recipe if someone else wants to try too. I'll post once I make it and tell you how it turns out. I have a few more I'm going to try too and will post them as I try.

For this bread use the finest grind of SGWW you can find. Because of the large amount of this flour used your machine must have a Whole Wheat cycle or it will labor too much and possibly damage it.

3/4 cup water
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsps canola oil
1/4 cup light molasses (I'll substitute agave)

4 cups SGWW flour
3 tbsps gluten
1 3/4 tsp salt

1 tbsp SAF yeast
OR
1tbsp plus 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast

Place all ingredients in pan according to the order your machine requires. (mine takes all liquids first) Set crust for medium, whole wheat cycle and press start.
DO NOT use delay feature for this recipe.

When complete immediately remove from pan and cool on rack.

This recipe is from the Bread Lovers Bread Machine cook book. Obviously something I bought long before SB!! I can't wait to try this and expect my agave by Tues. If I'm lucky I'll have a good bread I can eat my leftover turkey sandwich with!!

Hope this helps

Kris
shetexas
Thanks Kris,

I couldn't remember "wheat Gluten".

Here are some tips, and info on bread making & flour from my bread book:

THE ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS

Gluten, the protein found mainly in wheat flour, gives bread its structure. The higher the gluten content, the higher and stronger the loaf will be.
Yeast - a living organism, is activated when it comes in contact with warm liquids. It feeds on sugar & produces bubbles of carbon dioxide gas, which cause the bread to slowly rise.
Flour contains gluten, starch and enzymes that can convert the starch into sugar.
Liquids activate the yeast & bind the dough.
Salt moderates the yeast's activity and stregnthens the gluten structure.

The more you load breads down with heavy ingredients such as fruit & nuts, the slower they will rise.

Whole Grain bread doughs & other doughs low in gluten need longer kneading times & are slow risers.

FLOURS

Whole Wheat flour - contains all three components of th wheat kernel: the bran, the germ & the endosperm. Whole wheat breads will not be as tall as loaves made with bread flour. If your whole wheat breads are too small, replacing a portion of whole wheat flour with bread flour or adding gluten will help.

Stone ground wheat flour is coarser that the steel-ground whole wheat flour. The coarser the flour, the harder it is for the gluten to develop fully. As a result, they do not rise as high as other whole grain flours.

Whole Wheat Bread flour - It is ground from hard wheat & has a higher gluten content than regluar whole wheat flour. You can essentially create your own whole wheat bread flour by adding up to one tablespoon gluten to each cup of whole wheat flour.

Whole Wheat Pastry flour - is ground from soft wheat which means it has a low gluten content. It is comparable to cake flour and not suitable for bread maching baking. (according to the writers of the book)

Storage - whole grain flours that still contain some or all of the bran & germ s/b stored in the refrigerator or freezer. These include dark rye, barley, buckwheat, millet, amaranth & quinoa.

Hope this info help.

Shelley In Texas
krimas
Shelley,
Lots of good bread info. I think I'm going to take my last post and made a new topic under the recipe section. You might want to move yours there too. I figure this is all really good info and no one would think to look under Pumpkin Bread to find it!!

Kris
euharlee2003
I made the pumpkin bread and it is VERY good. I made three loaves as the recipe suggested and they were not very thick but it sure didn't hurt the taste! Next time, I plan to make only two out of the same amount of batter so they will be larger loaves. I sprayed my loaf pans with Baker's Joy and the pumpkin bread came out without sticking at all.
euharlee2003
I made my second batch of pumpkin bread today and made only two loaves instead of three as the recipe specified so they would be thicker. It turned out very pretty but was done in 1 hour (the recipe said 1 1/2 hours). I know every oven is not calibrated exactly the same, so anyone making this should probably start checking it after 45 minutes or so and note on the recipe for future reference how long it takes in your oven.

Now I can have dessert at the Thanksgiving celebrations and still be "legal"!

Thanks to Shelley in Texas for this delicious recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
prinessfrog
This pumpkin bread recipe sounds good. I just got addicted to pumpkin muffins from a bakery called Megee's in Lexington KY and was heart broken when the doctor told me to try the SB WOE, I can not wait to try the recipe out.
am9683
I love pumpkin bread. Let me know when you post it.
euharlee2003
It's already on here -- it's about the fifth item down on page 1 of this same thread. Enjoy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.