Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coconut Oil Article
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Food News
Kate
Is Coconut Oil Good for You?
Provided by DrWeil.com

Q: I would like your input on virgin coconut oil. I have been reading that it is very good for you and has been getting a bad rap. -- Jo Anne Simers

A: Coconut oil is one of the few saturated fats that doesn't come from animals, but like other saturated fats can raise cholesterol levels and, therefore, should play only a very limited role, if any, in your diet. In the past, it was widely used in movie popcorn, candy bars and commercial baked goods but was phased out of many of them during the past decade because of consumer opposition to unhealthy tropical oils.

Now coconut oil is being promoted on the Internet as a weight loss aid; it is also featured in a popular book by a naturopathic doctor. The rationale goes something like this: as a source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) coconut oil isn't stored in the body as fat as readily as oils composed of long-chain triglycerides (LCT). Some research from McGill University in Canada suggests that this is true; MCTs also boost metabolism and satiety, and therefore may promote weight loss when they replace LCTs in the diet. Because they are so easily digested, MCTs' are given in hospitals to provide nourishment for critically ill people who have trouble digesting fat.

Promoters also note that coconut oil is high in lauric acid and contains trace amounts of caprylic acid, both of which appear to have antiviral and antifungal properties, and support immune function. Lauric acid is actually present in breast milk; infants convert it to a substance called monolaurin that protects them from infections. These two fatty acids and their effects on health are being studied, but for now, we don't have any evidence suggesting that coconut oil is better for you than other saturated fats. The benefits of coconut oil in the diet, if any, are likely to be minimal, and until we have more and better evidence about coconut oil's effect of metabolism and potential role in promoting weight loss, I do not recommend using it.

Dr. Andrew Weil
BA
I have been reading up on coconut oil for quite some time now and I am convinced that the old negative rap it has is false.

In fact, I would encourage everyone to look at the medical journals and studies instead of just believing "the press". If the people making statements don't have the supporting evidence then don't trust it.

There is some good info at the below link:

http://www.coconut-info.com/links.htm

In addition, if you like to read books, the following book is very good:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

You have to look paste the hype and the naysayers and look at the facts. Otherwise, the soy and others industries will deceive you on things like saturated fats.

In fact, I suggest that everyone take a look at some of Dr. Fife's studies on oils/fats in general. I think you will be quite surprised.

I found a page on the web that actually has some short articles by Dr. Fife available to the public free.

http://jctonic.com/include/healingcrisis/

I will take a saturated fat over a polyunsatured fat any day and I will take coconut oil anytime I can.

The only oils I will use these days are virgin coconut oil, animal fats (lard, butter, etc,) and virgin olive oil. If I can use coconut oil I will, however, sometimes I need to use lard for the rare deep frying of a turkey and I put butter on things sometimes. In addition, I use olive oil for certain things, however, I try to make sure it is kept in opaque bottles with a cap on it.

That may sound crazy but I challenge anyone to look at the research and the facts.

Of course, I still eat some bad hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils and trans fatty acids because like sugar, they are nearly impossible to get away from. They are in practically everything you buy at the store. In fact, I think they are worse than sugar being an ingredient in everything you buy.

As I always say, do the research and then formulate your opinion. wink.gif
Kate
Thanks for the link and the info BA smile.gif I was hoping to get some talk started about oils/fats, a subject I'm pretty much confused about. At this point, I'm eating only butter very sparingly and olive oil. Question, does virgin coconut oil taste like the movie popcorn "butter"? Or, is it more neutral in flavor? Does heating change it? Assuming I could find some in my little town, how would I use it ?
newbie2003
hi there
i have to tell you i have been using coconut oil alot lately, it gives everything a sorta sweet taste, i make fries with it and the kids loved it, and i add half coconut half regular in my fried chicken and everyone raves about the taste
BA
QUOTE (Kate @ Mon, 08 Dec 2003 05:49)
Thanks for the link and the info BA  smile.gif  I was hoping to get some talk started about oils/fats, a subject I'm pretty much confused about. At this point, I'm eating only butter very sparingly and olive oil. Question, does virgin coconut oil taste like the movie popcorn "butter"? Or, is it more neutral in flavor? Does heating change it? Assuming I could find some in my little town, how would I use it ?

The stuff I am using has a bit of a coconut flavor to it.

It is definitely not "tasteless" like some oils.

I happen to love the taste of coconut so I like cooking with it.

I use it in all sorts of ways. If I need oil for cooking and I can use coconut oil I will.

I do not deep fry in it because it is too expensive (I don't deep fry often anyway).

I also use it in place of butter on lots of things (toast, pancakes).

I love a piece of fresh baked whole wheat bread, from fresh ground wheat, with coconut oil spread on top and then agave on it....mmm mmm good, I even make cinnamon toast like that.

bread, coconut oil, cinnamon and agave

I use coconut oil as a skin moisterizer as well. I use virgin coconut oil btw.

On the subject of oils in general I personally stay away from everything out there is except virgin coconut oil, virgin olive oil and butter (non hydrogenated lard if that was my only choice to deep fry in). I have read that if you are forced to use some sort of vegetable oil you need to make sure it is cold pressed and even then you don't want to cook with it (that would be for salads or something).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.