Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subway
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Food News
kodakstapler
Weeeell, while watching the Sugar Bowl (yay tigers!) I saw a commercial for Atkin's-friendly low-carb, low-fat wraps from Subway. Only 11 carbs a pop, as I recall. Anyone tried 'em yet? I'm so excited!
shel1210
Haven't tried them yet, but my mouth waters every time I see the commercial.

If anyone tries them....let us know how they are!
lekililina
I want to try them, but I kinda wanna read the package and see what the ingredients are. I would think in order for a major chain to advertise they were "Atkins friendly" they would have to be pretty well matched to Atkins, don't you?
euharlee2003
Was about ready to get in the car and go buy one each of these wraps for my husband and me to try ( I thought we could half each one and see which we liked better). Then I finally got to the nutrition info on the Subway web site. The net carbs are not too bad, but the total fat is more than I usually allow myself. I didn't write it down, but I think one was 27 grams and the other was 29. I'm not saying I won't try them, but I'm not in quite as big a hurry as I was when I first heard about them.
kodakstapler
Ouch! Maybe I should just stick with my regular subway sandwhich?
euharlee2003
Em,

I'm not sure what all was included in the count. When we used to buy the lower fat Subways, we always got them without mayonnaise and cheese and then added our fat-free mayo and cheese at home. I will have to admit the fat-free cheese is not as good as the "real" cheese. I had forgot how good the real cheese was until I started SB and bought some of the real thing. That's one thing I do allow myself now that has too much fat in it!

It's kind of like my new friend and SB pen pal says -- she picks her poisons!
shetexas
My boss is an Atkins dieter. He went to Subway yesterday and got a low-carb wrap. He said it was good, but very small and was kind of pricey. It was over $4.00. He did not say if he would go back for it again or not.

For myself, I'd rather spend the money and get more to crunch on - I really like getting salmon with veggies and a side salad for around $7.00 (lunch).

Shelley In Texas
cool.gif
lekililina
Found this ingredient listing on the Subway web site, hope it helps:

ATKINS-FRIENDLY WRAP

Water, Wheat Gluten, Corn Starch, Whole Wheat Flour, Oat Fiber, Isolated Soy Protein, Soy Flour, Soy Oil, Salt, Sesame Flour, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Dextrose, Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcium Propionate (A Preservative), Fumaric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Mono -Diglycerides, Sucralose, L. Cysteine

Here's some more information that might be of interest:

Just the wrap itself:
Calories 130
Cal from Fat 25
Total Fat 2.5g
Saturated Fat 1g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 280mg
Carbs 32g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Total Sugars 2g
Protein 6g

Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap:
Calories 480
Cal from Fat 240
Total Fat 27g
Saturated Fat 9g
Cholesterol 95mg
Sodium 1340mg
Carbs 19g
Dietary Fiber 11g
Total Sugars 3g
Protein 40g

Turkey Bacon Melt Wrap
Calories 430
Cal from Fat 220
Total Fat 25g
Saturated Fat 9g
Cholesterol 55mg
Sodium 1600mg
Carbs 22g
Dietary Fiber 12g
Total Sugars 4g
Protein 30g

-Leslie-
kodakstapler
I'd be willing to guess if you shucked the bacon and the hearty sauces you could get rid of most of the fat!
docdexsr
My son works for the Subway Corp. He says the new wraps are red hot sales wise. He indicates that the bacon is the big fat producer. If you are selective about the mayo you should be ok.
jokeje
If you have to eat out, I guess that's better than other choices. However, personally, I would rather have one of their salads!! Those are awesome and lose the bready carb issue. You can also make your own wrap...WW Tortillas (buy or make your own with spelt/wheat/soy flours so you have more control over the contents). I haven't made my own wraps yet, but I've been making the wrap sandwiches this for a long time - I save grilled chicken from a meal, then add a little cheese, BLT stuff, sprouts, mushrooms, etc... They are REALLY great and probably cheaper than going to Subway but not as convenient. Sorry, Docdexsr - no offense to your son!!

Like many other companies, they are responding to the trend in eating habits!! At least it gives us healthier options than we've had in the past. That's better for everyone!
sablekins
I finally got around to trying one of these wraps today. Had the turkey bacon wrap with lots of veggies and mustard. It was "okay". A 6, maybe a 7, on a scale of 1-10. I will say that it was nice to have a low carb alternative at a fast food place!
Tricia
One day last week while out running around like crazy I picked up a Chicken Bacon Ranch wrap at Subway. It was good. SOmething a little different than stopping at Wendy's and by the way hold the bun request. I dont really worry about the fat I eat because with my blood sugar I cant handle any kind of grain (even whole ones) or sugar. Have even found that my body cannot tolerate fruit. So the fat I eat is the only energy I have to pull from.

I wouldnt have this sandwich everyday and I wouldnt drive a long way to get it. But if I am out and starving I might be willing to pick one up again. Its a nice change of pace.

Tricia
lekililina
Has anyone checked out Burger King's new "low carb" choices? All it is is 3 sandwiches they serve without the bun!! Heck, we've been ordering it this way for years!!!!!

LOL at least they're trying.

BTW, the grilled chicken whopper is really tasty!

love, Les
Myownigloo
Also check out In-N-Out Burger's "protein style" burgers. They're not on the menu. You have to know to order them. You just order your burger and say "protein style" and they leave out the bun and wrap the burger, tomato slice, cheese (if cheeseburger), etc. in lettuce leaves. It's great.

Search the web for "In-N-Out Burger Secret Menu" to learn more.

tongue.gif

Jo Anne
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.