Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cheesecake Recipe?
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
Laura
Hi guys,

Was checking the recipe list and couldn't find a cheesecake recipe. I have the SB for Life cookbook with cheesecake recipes but they call or Sweet and Low. I don't like to use chemical sweetners as I am sensitive to many chemicals. I thought maybe someone may have experimented with agave in a cheesecake or maybe could give me some other ideas. I've found legal cheesecakes on the internet but they are very expensive.

Thanks in advance! biggrin.gif

Laura
lekililina
Have you tried Splenda? Since it's actually derived from sugar, you may not have the problems that you have with NutraSweet. Besides, Splenda doesn't get that funky aftertaste that NutraSweet gets when you bake with it. Buy the big bag, there's a recipe on the back of it for cheesecake. Or go to the Splenda website and get it for free from there. Good luck!

Leslie
Laura
Love your heart Leslie!! rolleyes.gif

I will do just that! I will go to the website for Splenda and get their recipe. I have found that sometimes Splenda gives me the yuckies but if I use it in moderation I am okay. Speaking of Splenda, I don't know if you have Save A Lot grocery stores in your area but they have their own brand of diet sodas and they use Splenda! I am excited about that because the only other diet soda I know of that uses it is Diet Rite and I don't care for it. I don't drink much soda but it's nice to have one once in awhile.

Thanks for the info!!!

God bless,

Laura
euharlee2003
Laura,

What is the brand name of Sav-A-Lot's drinks that are sweetened with Splenda? My mother shops there all the time but there is not one in the town where I live. She is always picking things up for me, but I have to be specific about the brand or I might not end up with the right thing.

Thank you!

P.S. I'm not wild about the Diet Rite either.
krimas
A chef friend of mine sent me this recipe. She specializes in pastries and usually makes full on sugar sweets. However, she has lost about 80lbs eating low carb. My inspiration to know I could do this too! I made it over the holidays and loved it. No one knew it was sugar free. Keep in mind...it's not fat free, but, no sugar. Enjoy,

32 ounces cream cheese
1 cup splenda (may substitute 1 cup of Davinci Syrup which reduces carb count to 3 for each serving!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons sour cream

With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and splenda at slow to medium speed, scraping sides often. Add all other ingredients except eggs. When completely mixed (with no lumps), add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating very slowly. When eggs are incorporated, do not mix any more. Over-mixing the eggs is a contributing cause of cracked cheesecakes. (The leading cause of cracking is over-cooking, so don??t believe any one who tells you it is normal for a cheesecake to be cracked; it isn??t.) Always treat the batter gently.

Pour the mixture into the springform pan. Place the pan on a very large piece of aluminum foil, and fold the foil up around the pan to create a watertight barrier around the cheesecake. Then place the barrier pan in an even larger pan and fill the larger pan halfway with water. This is called a water bath. It is a gentler way to cook the cheesecake.

Place the entire water bath containing the cheesecake in a 300-degree preheated oven. Cook for 1 hour and reduce heat to 200 degrees for 1 more hour.

Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in until the oven is completely cool. The cheesecake can even be left overnight at this point. Cracks can also occur when a cheesecake cools too quickly.

It may be beneficial to run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake, separating it from the sides of the pan. If your goal is to serve the cheesecake on a different dish without the bottom of the spring form pan, then the pan can be lined with parchment paper before the batter is poured in. Make sure to grease both sides of the paper. This will make for easy removal of the cheesecake later. It works best if the cheesecake has been refrigerated fully before trying to remove it from the bottom pan.

Per Serving (based on 12 servings per cheesecake): 308 Calories; 29g Fat; 8g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 165mg Cholesterol; 244mg Sodium.
Laura
Kris,

That recipe sounds soooooooo WONDERFUL!!! I will try it as soon as I can! I did find a cheesecake recipe in the Brennan's second SB cookbook and bought the stuff today to do it. I would do your recipe but I didn't buy enough cream cheese for it. I'll try the Brennan's tomorrow and your's the next time and give you guys the results! (Gives me a good excuse to overdo on cheesecake!!! wink.gif )

Thanks a Bunch!!

Laura
Laura
Euharlee,

They don't actually say Splenda on the ingredient list but list it as sucralose which I'm sure you know is what Splenda is. All "store" brand names use it I've tried. Here are some of the names I have used: Diet Bubba (cola flavor) Diet Dr. Pop (Dr. Pepper) and I can't remember the name of their Sprite alternative but it's in the green bottle just like a Sprite or 7 UP. I think they have a Mt. Dew alternative too maybe called Citrus Drop but I'm not positive. Let me know what you think. rolleyes.gif

God Bless,

Laura
euharlee2003
Great -- thanks for sharing the names -- I'll try to either make a trip or get my mother to pick some up for me!
Laura
Okay guys I did it!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I made a cheesecake using agave and it turned out GREAT!! tongue.gif I "tweaked" the Brennan's recipe and experimented a little. I did well, I only had one slice but I can't wait till tomorrow so I can have another.

I will post the recipe in a new thread and call it Agave Cheesecake incase anyone would like to try it themselves. I still want to try Kris' recipe too.

God bless,

Laura
Jet
QUOTE (Laura @ Jan 10 2004, 05:44 PM)
Hi guys,

Was checking the recipe list and couldn't find a cheesecake recipe.  I have the SB for Life cookbook with cheesecake recipes but they call or Sweet and Low.  I don't like to use chemical sweetners as I am sensitive to many chemicals.  I thought maybe someone may have experimented with agave in a cheesecake or maybe could give me some other ideas.  I've found legal cheesecakes on the internet but they are very expensive.

Thanks in advance! biggrin.gif

Laura

Laura,
Here is a cheesecake recipe I use. The only added sugar is in graham cracker crust. My wife loves it. I converted this to Splenda from sugar.

AUTUMN APPLE CHEESECAKE

Crust:
1 C. graham cracker crumbs
? C. finely chopped pecans
3 T. Splenda
? tsp. ground cinnamon
2 T. unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
16 oz. low-fat cream cheese, softened
? C. Splenda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 lrg. eggs

Topping:
4 C. peeled and thinly sliced Jonathan or Granny Smith apples
? tsp. ground cinnamon
⅓C. Splenda
? C. chopped pecans
Confectioner?s sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 325?. Wipe 8-inch springform baking pan with paper towel saturated with cooking oil.

To make crust: Mix all ingredients in bowl, and press onto bottom of springform pan. Bake 10 minutes, remove from oven and let cool. Leave oven on.

To make filling: Beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until well blended. Blend in eggs one at a time. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with rubber spatula, and pour mixture over crust.

To make topping: Put sliced apples in bowl, and toss with cinnamon and Splenda. Spoon apple mixture over filling, and sprinkle top with pecans.

Bake 75 minutes or until center is set. Let cheesecake cool before removing from springform pan.

Transfer cheesecake to serving plate. Dust top lightly with confectioners? sugar before serving.

Yield: 12 servings.
sam-I-am
Hi Jet! Welcome to the board! Oh my goodness that sounds like a delicious recipe. Thanks for sharing it! I've got it saved. cool.gif

smile.gif Sam
davew
I just posted an "almost legal" cheesecake recipe. The illegal part is the graham cracker crust. Even though these are totally illegal, it only works out to about 7 grams of carbs per serving. I posted it as a new topic as this thread was getting a little long, and thought getting the recipe first in the threrad would be more convenient for many.

This is by far the best cheescake I've ever had. It is a rich, heavy, creamy New York style. If you like your cheesecake light and fluffy, this isn't it. The original recipe came from Bon Apetit magazine sometime in the 70's. It was the cover picture.

To be honest, we only make with all the sugar, I've never substituted so someone needs to verify that it works. Maybe there is a substitute for the graham crackers.

Dave

Edited to change Gourmet magazine to Bon Apetit - dave
jokeje
Dave,
That sounds like the one I make. I use 32 oz. of cream cheese in mine, and use the graham crackers. I've tried it with the Neufchatel, but the real cream cheese is so much better, and the lower fat sour cream just isn't the same either.

Oh well.

I posted a link to D-Liteful Bakery under the topic of meringues. Supposedly they have a low carb/higher fiber cheesecake out. I think we'll try it! I think the brand is called Heavenly Desserts.

Thanks!
Joanie
easyecm
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have been eating SB or LC (started as SB, then switched back and forth) for about 7 years. I lost 80 lbs. in the firsy 6 months and didn't gain any back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, until I moved to Asia, where I gained 40 lbs. very hard to follow this WOE here.

But, have just started again!

Anyway, I have a New York Style Cheesecake that I have been making for a longtime. It is really good IMHO! I found it on the Lowcarbluxury website.
I do not do the crust though.
Instead, I spray the bottom of a springform pan with cooking spray, then line with waxpaper, this makes it easy to remove.

I just made one the other day and I mashed 2 mangoes until a jam consistency, then spread it on top of the cooled cake, and thin sliced another mango and created a swirl pattern on top of the cake!

When I really want to add that extra something I make whipped cream and add a dollop to each slice!

Whipped Cream
1 cup of whipping cream
2 Tsbp of Slenda
1 tsp of vanilla extract (sf)

Whip until stiff peaks with an electric beater.

The Chinese believe food should please the eye as well as the palate, and I believe that as well!

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com

New York Style Cheesecake

Ingredients:

1 cup almond flour
6 Tablespoons Splenda
4 Tablespoons butter - melted

5 (8-oz) packages full fat cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups Splenda
1 Tablespoon Oat Flour
1 Tablespoon sugarfree vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350?F.
Mix the first three ingredients and then press into bottom of springform pan.

Mix cream cheese, Splenda, flour and vanilla with an electric mixer until blended. Add eggs one at a time, mixing on low after each, just until blended. Blend in sour cream and pour over crust.

Bake 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until center is almost set. Run knife around the rim of the pan to loosen cake and allow to cool before removing the springform pan ring. Refrigerate overnight.

TOTAL FOR CAKE: 97.3
At 20 servings: 4.8 carbs per slice. At 24 servings: 4 carbs per slice.
easyecm
Sorry, I forgot, I don't put the oat flour either.
The results were the same!
jokeje
Easyecm,
WELCOME! WOW, 80 lbs. in the first 6 months. That's incredible! I've pretty much plateaued, but I also haven't been very legal lately.

Thanks for sharing that wonderful recipe! Sounds much like the NY Cheesecake I make...the one that is NOT legal! I didn't know if I could find a reasonable substitute, but this sounds like it just might be the one!

OK...how/where did you end up in Asia? I have some friends sprinkled over there in China, Taiwan, Japan and who knows where else, and a friend that was in Japan teaching this summer who is now back in Germany.

Again, thanks for sharing!
Joanie
easyecm
Jokeje,

I hope you enjoy the cheesecake as much as I do.

I ended up in the Philippines after I retired 3 years ago at the ripe old age of 46! I have been in many parts of Asia and settled here because I had lived here before for a few years (ex-wife's country) and love the country and most of the people here. But, a big factor is the cost of living, it is very low.

However, these folks eat way too many carbs! It is hard to eat "legal" here. but I have decided to make it a priority again. I return to the States 1 or 2 tyimes per year for a month at a time. When there I ship myself legal items that are not to be found here.

Take care
jokeje
Cool! We have a couple in our church who from the Phillipines. Lovely couple! Yes...higher in carbs because of the rice and noodles, but good because of the fresh veggies they use. I'm sure you'll be able to adapt some more easily than others. Do you have access to brown rice? Basmati is better than traditional white rice, so it may also mean making better choices from what's available instead of cutting certain necessary things out entirely.

Let us know how you're doing!
Joanie
easyecm
Joanie,

The freshness is a plus, but the lack of availablity is not!

I finally found whole wheat flour today!

But, the store had no wheat gluten, But with some prodding, I was able to find that their store in Manila has 3 boxes and I am going to manila on Monday, so I will get it then. Being it is available, they can order it.

Brown rice has never been a problem, but not many locals know what it is or eat it!

Take care,

Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.