Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sausage Casserole - Breakfast
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes
euharlee2003
Sausage Casserole

4 slices bread (I used Pepperidge Farm stone ground whole wheat)
1 pound bulk sausage (I used Jimmy Dean / 50% less fat)
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese (I used Kraft fat-free)
6 eggs
2 cups milk (I used fat-free milk)
1 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper

13x9x2 pan

Tear up bread and place in greased pan. (I sprayed pan with Pam). Brown and drain sausage. Spoon sausage over bread. Sprinkle with cheese. Beat together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over mixture in casserole. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.

Serves 6 to 8

This is good leftover and heated in microwave.
Lolly
Sounds like my kind of breakfast - (which veggie sausages for me though)!

Thanks Euharlee!

Love lolly
euharlee2003
You're welcome, Lolly! I think you will like it. My niece is vegetarian and uses the veggie stuff too. I actually buy it myself sometimes because it is very good nutritionally.

If we thought about it very much, we would all be vegans. Every time I see a story on the news about "mad cows", it's sort of sickening. I eat a Wendy's hamburger or chili at least once a week, but when I went this past week, I got grilled chicken. I know they say the chances are very slight on the mad cow and I haven't given up beef altogether and probably won't, but I sure think about it a little longer now. I think we'll be eating more chicken now (until they come up with something to scare us on it!).
Lolly
The mad cow thing has been over here quite a long time now - am I right in thinking you guys just had your first case of it recently?

I do cook meat for my family though. I havent eat meat since I was a kid - about 13-14 I think. I got food poisoning from a meat pie - I had already eaten most of it then I saw loads of silver foil in it - I was so ill. Then when I was in Canada I had a burger in a restaurant which was undercooked in the middle and was really ill again. My mum says I was funny about eating meat even as a little girl (really fussy eater as a kid). One day I just decided I couldnt eat meat anymore. It was the thought of it mostly. I dont miss it - actually I dont remember what it tastes like now.

Love lolly
kodakstapler
I didn't eat hamburgers for a year as a 10 year old. Some kid died after eating a burger from Jack-in-the-box...I would eat chicken nuggets, juts not burgers. smile.gif
euharlee2003
Em, I remember what you are talking about with Jack-In-The-Box. When visiting relatives in SC during the holidays, we stopped at a Jack-In-The-Box for a quick meal one evening -- it was the first time I had ever set foot in a Jack-In-The-Box. The incident years ago was the first thing I thought about and my mother said she thought the same thing. Anyway, my niece and the others had been eating there and hadn't had problems, so I had a hamburger which was quite good. I justified in my mind that they are probably having to try harder than the others just to live down that incident (LOL). We had lunch at another one later that week and I had a really good salad topped with chicken.

Guess I'm just a 50-something "kid" that loves hamburgers and fast food! I know it's not always real healthy but I'm trying to do better. After being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes almost 2 years ago, we cut down drastically on fast food, but since I have recently gone back to work, we are eating lunch out 2 or 3 times a week. I do try to make healthy choices........like taking my own bread and throwing the bun away. Today I had grilled chicken instead of a hamburger. I found out that Wendys' grilled chicken sandwiches are good although I think I personally like Chick-Fil-A better.

Euharlee

(P.S. Enjoyed seeing your snapshot -- you are cute as a button -- and as young as a lot of us wish we still were!)
kodakstapler
I haven't eaten fast food in close to two years, thanks to having to spend 40+ hours a week there my senior year in high school. smile.gif

THanks for the compliment. Sometimes I wish I weren't so young...I think my mind is too old for my skin sometimes. smile.gif

Much love,
Em
shel1210
Em!!! What a nice picture....you're beautiful! biggrin.gif It's hard to picture you on a rugby team, though! laugh.gif laugh.gif

You are what's known as an "old soul". I was always told that when I was younger, too. It's not always a bad thing. Oh, and don't worry....unfortunately, your skin will catch up! dry.gif
kodakstapler
Thanks! It's fun sometimes. A lot easier to be empathic, I think. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.