Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Agave Cheesecake
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
Laura
tongue.gif I experimented and it was a success!! If you try it, please let me know what you think. biggrin.gif

Laura

Agave Cheesecake

Crust:

1/2 cup of almond slivers
2 tblsp. of melted butter (more or less)
2 tsp. Agave more or less

I toasted the almonds just slightly on a baking stone at 350 degrees. Mix toasted almonds, butter, and agave. Spread on bottom of 8 to 9 inch springform pan.

Cake

2 eggs
2 8 oz. packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup agave

Preheat oven to 350
Beat cream cheese for 2 to 3 minutes, add vanilla, and gradually beat in agave. Add the eggs one at a time mixing well in between. Pour into pan over almonds and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes. Reset the oven temperature to 450 degrees. While letting the cake stand, mix the following ingredients for the topping.

8 oz sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons more or less to taste of agave
(note: this would be great as a fruit dip too!)

After the 15 minutes standing time spread the sour cream mixture over the cake and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature uncovered. Then let chill in refrigerator until serving. I had some bilberry fruit spread and placed a thin layer over my slice of the cheese cake and it was really good. I think about any type of SF spreadable fruit would be really great. I cut the cake into eighths but you could probably get 10 slices out of it. Enjoy!
juneblack
What is Agave?
What is used for?
Where do you find it?
Laura
Hi June,

Agave is a nectar that comes from the agave cactus. We use it as a sweetner because it has a very low glycemic effect (low glycemic index) on our bodies. I use it mainly because I suffer from multiple chemical sensitivies and I can't tolerate most artificial sweetners. You can buy agave in some healthfood stores and on the internet. sweetcactusfarms.com is one place you can purchase it. My healthfood store takes special orders and got it in because another customer had requested it. It tastes like liquid sugar in the light form if you get the dark agave I understand it tastes more like honey but I haven't ever purchased the dark.

Welcome to the board!

Laura
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.