Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chocolate Bean Cake/ Brownies
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
Belfrybat
I was asked to post the recipe for brownies using beans. I do not know for certain this is allowable on Sugar Busters as I don't have the book, so please use your own judgement. I know the recipe looks odd, but it really is very good. Here's the way I make it:

CHOCOLATE BEAN BROWNIE/CAKE

1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 eggs (or egg sub equivalent)
1/4 cup milk (or water if you are avoiding lactose)
1-3 Tablespoons of Canola Oil (I use one)*
2 teaspoons vanilla
3-4 Tablespoons cocoa
1 cup fructose
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 small package sugar free pudding mix

*With hand blender blend all ingredients for about 4-5 minutes until very smooth.
*Pour into a pie plate or 7 x 11 brownie pan that has been sprayed with Pam.
*Bake at 350-degrees for 25-30 minutes. (Oven temps vary, so keep a good watch.)
*It will rise quite a bit and then fall as it cools -- that is normal.

*NOTE: You can also make this in a regular blender. Do not use a mixer because beans will not be smooth enough. They'll be lumpy! Yuk!

*NOTE 2: I found this on the South Beach forum and it originally used 1-1/2 cups Splenda and 3 Tbs. oil. I don't like articificial sweeteners so substituted fructose, but feel free to use Spenda or a mixture. I also cut the oil as it seemed too moist -- almost spongy.
crm123
I tried the recipe for the Black Bean Brownies...They turned out great. I used agave instead of Splenda. Also, since I am allergic to artifical colors, I used extra cocoa and unflavored gelatin. I could eat the whole pan myself rolleyes.gif
shel1210
o.k., o.k....I'll be the skeptic here.....do they really taste like brownies if you use beans in them? unsure.gif

If someone tells me they do, I'll give them a shot. I'll be a real convert if they do, as I'm a bean disliker and a chocolate lover. laugh.gif laugh.gif
CRYSTAL
what is the difference between splenda and the fructose that is used in these black bean brownies??? Is this a liquid or powder form and where do you purchase this??? Thanks crystal
jokeje
Maybe I should just make it and NOT tell the ingredients!! I must admit...I'm a little skeptical, but then again...whoda thunk zucchini bread would be good!! :-)

Joanie
shel1210
Joanie....that's exactly what I did....I had my family try them first and asked them if they liked them....then I told them what they were made of. I got some funny looks when they heard the beans, but that didn't keep them from eating the rest of the pan! laugh.gif
jokeje
Shel,
I found a recipe for Black Bean Lasagna Rollouts. I FINALLY got them to commit to trying them for dinner last night, then went to make them and DIDN'T HAVE THE BLACK BEANS in a can and didn't have time to soak them!!! HAHA... Just made regular lasagna rollups instead and they liked them.

Hubby was like "black beans"? It doesn't sound appealing. I said, "You're acting like the kids...we make them try stuff. When's the last time you had black beans?" "Uh...well..." "My point exactly...you don't KNOW if you don't like them!" "Ok...go ahead and make it." tongue.gif

Gotta run - we need to leave for church soon.

loveya,
Joanie
shel1210
Joanie...you're too funny! laugh.gif *Sigh* all husbands must be the same....my kids will usually try my new experiments before my DH will. I guess that's why I always say I have 3 kids (2 daughters and my husband). laugh.gif

I learned my lesson the hard way, too...I always check my pantry before I start making anything now. I've started things way to often and then realized I didn't have one (or more) of the things I needed. blink.gif Ah, well, live and learn. biggrin.gif

Love ya,
Shel
jokeje
Hey, Shel! Can't be on long - it's 7:11am and Rennie has her last basketball game at 9:00, so we have to leave at 8:30. Gotta fix breakfast, and Dennis' mom is with us this weekend.

Still haven't made the Black Bean stuff yet....our schedule has been whacked out. I'll let you know, though!!!

Love ya,
JJ
CRYSTAL
I TRIED THE BLACK BEAN BROWNIES. THEY WERE GOOD, SMELLED SO GOOD BAKING. I DIDN'T GET THE BEANS MASHED UP GOOD THE FIRST TIME I MADE THEM, BUT I WILL TRY THEM AGAIN AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE MASHED UP GOOD. I DIDN'T TELL MY FAMILY WHAT WAS IN THEM EITHER TILL THEY ATE THEM AND I ALSO TOOK A COUPLE PIECES TO WORK TO SOME CO WORKERS. THEY ALSO LIKE IT. THANKS FOR SHARING THE RECIPE. IF ANYONE HAS ANYMORE THEY TRY PLEASE SHARE. CRYSTAL tongue.gif
shel1210
Crystal,

I was afraid of the beans being too "chunky" so I basically pulverized the poor things! laugh.gif laugh.gif
CRYSTAL
Shel I liked that, you pulverized them to death! What did you use to pulverize them. I tried my blender and it didn't work too good, they were chunky. Thanks for the info. blink.gif Crystal
shel1210
Well, first I put them in my regular blender, then it decided to break on me blink.gif , so I used a hand held blender stick that I have and that sucker is so powerful that the poor beans never stood a chance. biggrin.gif

If my regular blender wouldn't have died mid process, I would have whipped them, then stopped the blender and stirred them around and whipped them again, repeating the process until all of them were nice and smooth. Hope you can try it again and get the beans smoother....these really are great without chunky beans (although you could try to convince everyone that the chunks are nuts or chocolate or something and see if they fall for it!) biggrin.gif
ElizabethMO
Shel, I have to ask you!!! Are you the Shel that last fall lived in the Finger Lakes Region of New York? Are you the wonderful lady that helped me when I was planning to come to that area on vacation and needed to know about the fall foliage, etc.?

If so, BOY, am I glad to find you. You would remember me as "Travel" on another forum.

If not, thank you just the same.
shel1210
Nope, sorry....but I am a wonderful person! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Seriously, though....I wish it could have been me so you could be reunited with a long lost friend. cool.gif
ElizabethMO
Thanks, Shel. I, too, wish it had been you. However, I consider myself with the good fortune of having a new friend named "Shel". I am sure going to try the recipe for the brownies. They sound really good!!!
shel1210
QUOTE (ElizabethMO @ Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:12)
Thanks, Shel.  I, too, wish it had been you.  However, I consider myself with the good fortune of having a new friend named "Shel".  I am sure going to try the recipe for the brownies.  They sound really good!!!

Well, thank you...what a sweet thing to say! smile.gif

Definitely give the brownies a try....you'll never be able to guess that they're made from beans. You can also make them thicker, by putting in a smaller pan, to be more like a cake. I'm going to try experimenting with making them into gobs as soon as I start feeling better (been very sick the last week). If it works, I'll let everyone know.
maccsale
While at my health-conscious friend's house for dinner, I mentioned the brownie recipe. She said she had a can of black beans, so while the guys ran out to get the pizza, she whipped them up. We were snickering the whole time while the guys were raving over them. They know us well enough to know that there was something fishy going on, but they didn't push us to reveal our secret!

I'd make them again and again. They were especially good right out of the freezer. I think I'd make a batch and individually wrap them and keep them frozen. You could always 'wave one and add a scoop of NSA ice cream!!!

Anita
jokeje
Anita,
WELCOME!! I like the way you think!

I haven't had time to try them yet.

Did make the SB recipe for crab cakes the other night (less the creole mayo)...they were EXCELLENT!!! My hubby says he'd rather have them than to go to a particular seafood restaraunt for them when we visit my parents!! We're going up there this weekend to pick the girls up (they been there over a week now) and he said he'd rather me make those than to go out for them!! WOW!!! They're not hard to make and make PLENTY!! The recipe calls for 1 lb. of crabmeat (actually 4 cans at 4.25 oz. drained per can from a 6 oz can) and it could serve between 4 and 6 people (makes 12 cakes). A little expensive, but not for what you're getting!!

Miss you all!!
Joanie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.