Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pizza Dough
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
w8ing2bskny
huh.gif Does anyone have a good recipe for pizza dough using whole wheat flour? Thanks a bunch
davew
There's a recipe that was posted a while ago. It is available in the recipe book that is posted as a PDF.

It is under recipes, pinned as a pdf. Scroll down to version 1.0 (or VER10).

Right click and save as. The recipe is under breads.

Good luck,

Dave
w8ing2bskny
wink.gif Thanks for the tip on the pizza dough. I also posted a recipe for mini pizzas using pita bread, it tastes like thin and crispy pizza.
maccsale
rolleyes.gif Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (thin crust)

1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. whole oat flour
2 T. vital wheat gluten
1 t. salt (coarse kosher is best)
2 t. yeast
1/2 c. warm water
2 t. olive oil (optional)

Mix dry ingredients (except yeast) in bowl of food processor or mixer. In another bowl, mix water and yeast (and olive oil if using). Let stand until foamy, 5-10 min. Pour water mixture into dry ingredients and process or mix until a single ball of dough forms. Knead or process another few minutes, then place in an oiled bowl and cover. I preheat my oven for 2-3 minutes, until it just feels warm in there, then turn it off. I rise my dough in there and it stays just warm enough to double it in 45 minutes to 1 hour. Punch down and spread very thin with fingers on pizza pan. I usually prebake my crust empty or with just sauce for about 10 minutes at 400. Then I transfer to a baking stone. This gives it a really crispy crust. Otherwise, I would leave it in the pan, put rest of toppings on and bake another 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. My hubby LOVES this ! rolleyes.gif
maccsale
Quick, easy pizzas laugh.gif

Another way I make quick easy pizzas is to use the new Ezekial sprouted grain tortillas. These babies have NO flour in them. They are just several kinds of sprouts mashed together and baked. They make a complete protein and they heat well. You can even make the BEST "tortilla chips" with them!!!!!

For pizzas, I top them on my pizza peel and slide them onto my baking stone.
maccsale
OK, I know I sound like a broken record here, but I just made the above ww pizza dough and made it into two smaller pizzas instead of one large. I threw the dough on a hot grill!!!! and made the best pizzas ever! I just brushed with a little olive oil and flipped the dough after a minute or two, grilled the other side until they were firm. I removed them to the kitchen to add the sauce and toppings, then back on the grill until the cheese was bubbly, about 5 minutes. The crust was very thin and crisp, but good grill flavor. I will be grilling a LOT of pizza this summer!

Anita
shel1210
You can grill pizza?!?!?!?!? biggrin.gif

Oh my, Anita, you have just managed to make mine and my family's day! I love to grill and they love pizza....now we can have the best of both worlds.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
maccsale
I have a few tips for grilling pizza:

1. Clean your grille very well and oil with olive or canola oil before lighting.

2. Preheat to very hot, then turn down flame for 3-5 minutes before starting. That way the rocks get pretty hot, but you won't burn your bottom (crust that is wink.gif ).

3. Brush oil on your crust. You can make it pretty thin, if that is what you like. I pressed mine out on plastic wrap, oiled the tops, then folded them over to carry out to grill. Then I peeled off plastic and spread out on my hand, oiled side up. Then, whoosh! I threw it in the grill, oil side down.

4. Leave it alone if it wrinkles or sags. Let it cook 2-3 minutes, then carefully start lifting with a spatula or pizza peel. Brush top with oil and flip. Let it bake another 1-2 minutes and then remove from grill.

5. Top with whatever you want. If you like your veggies pretty cooked, I'd saute them prior to topping pizza, because you'll only have it on the grill long enough to melt the cheese and crisp the bottom crust.

Have fun and let me know how it goes!

Anita

6. Watch the bottom crust for high browning. If you have a two burner grill, you can turn one side off where the pizza is and leave the other side burning to maintain the heat. We did two and took the first one out too soon, left the other in longer where the cheese was actually bubbling. That was the better one. (we were too hungry and excited to wait for the first one--I think we all burned the roofs of our mouths, if you know what I mean...)

7. Get creative! We did pesto, feta, capacola ham, red onion, sun-dried tomatoes, and a little mozzarella. It was pretty rich, so we had a lot left over. It wasn't as good cold as your basic delivery pizza is, but it was great hot off the grill!!!
mebysgirl
I don't have a recipe but there is a website that sells Italian pizza dough mix.
Check out www.sugarfreekitchen.com and click on "low carb" menu button
You should see their products listed with prices, etc. I've never tried any of them;
sorry that I can't vouch for their quality or taste. Perhaps you might share with us if you choose to order something and make a pizza--sugarbusters style.
All the best,
mebysgirl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.