Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheat Bread Crumbs
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
bafrost323
Do legal breadcrubs exist, like those made from whole wheat bread, etc?
If so, can anyone recommend a good brand?
If not, can anyone advise how to make breadcrumbs? dry.gif
Our work had chix parm. today and walking by it got me hungry for italian!

Thanks
Beth
sam-I-am
Hey Beth,
I make 'bread crumbs' for doing oven-fried chicken and other things out of Triscuits.

Put 10 Triscuits in a freezer zip bag and crush them to the desired coarseness.
Add 1/2 tsp. of each: (or adjust to your tastes)
garlic powder
onion powder
And 2 tsp. Italian seasoning

If this quantity isn't enough, add more Triscuits and spices. This will coat 6 chicken breasts. Makes a great crunchy breading!

smile.gif Sam
bafrost323
Thanks Sam - that sounds great! I will certainly try it!

Beth
smile.gif
jokeje
Beth,
You can also add parmesan cheese to the mix! One of the SB cookbooks has that recipe. Also, for "topping" casseroles legally I usually use another legal SGWW cracker if the texture/saltiness of Triscuits wouldn't be right.

We've used the Triscuit/Parm. coating for eggplant parmesan and it was great! The one caution is that it causes the oil/pan to smoke a bit more than most, so you may have to lower the pan temp a bit.

Enjoy!! Let us know how it works out!

Joanie
maccsale
Here's my answer to this problem. I save the heels from my 100% whole wheat sandwich bread that my kids eat - no one wants the heel! I put them in a zip bag in the freezer. When I have a recipe that calls for bread crumbs (like meatballs or crab cakes or chicken parmesan) I just tear them up, usually still frozen, and whirl them in my food processor until they are very fine crumbs. If you need dry bread crumbs, you can dry the bread out first in the oven, then process.

Anita

p.s., oddly enough 2 heels makes almost exactly 1 cup of crumbs
wondergal
QUOTE (maccsale @ Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:57)
Here's my answer to this problem.  I save the heels from my 100% whole wheat sandwich bread that my kids eat - no one wants the heel!  I put them in a zip bag in the freezer.  When I have a recipe that calls for bread crumbs (like meatballs or crab cakes or chicken parmesan)  I just tear them up, usually still frozen, and whirl them in my food processor until they are very fine crumbs.  If you need dry bread crumbs, you can dry the bread out first in the oven, then process.

Anita

p.s., oddly enough 2 heels makes almost exactly 1 cup of crumbs

Well, it is apparent that I am going to have to get a SB cookbook, I am amazed at what everyone is coming up with and I have been having grilled chicken, whipped cauliflower & brocolli! ohmy.gif
sam-I-am
Hey Wondergal! Welcome to the forum and this WONDERFUL WOE! tongue.gif I love both, so I'm excitable. Hee hee. rolleyes.gif

You managed to lose your 'lurker' status in one day! Wow. You are a go-get-em kinda person. You should do well on this woe!

I don't even own any of the SB cookbooks. I have found in the past that if I buy a cookbook I might use one recipe in it, then never open it again! However I DO peruse a lot of internet food sites. And of course watch food TV. So what I do now is when I see something I like, I just simply convert it to SB. Drop out all the bad ingredients (corn, sugar, flour, etc.) and replace with legal stuff. Sometimes this is easy as pie and sometimes it's not. If it's easy you can bet I'm making it often. If not, I let my husband make it. haha! laugh.gif

Keep on posting! This is a great place for answers and support. Most of the regulars don't post every single day, but your questions WILL get answered.

smile.gif Sam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.