Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake!
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
Jamie
I know whole wheat cake kinda sounds gross, but this recipe actually makes a cake that's pretty darn close to the real thing:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2-1 cup Splenda or Equal(depending on how sweet you want it)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/3 cups water or 2% milk
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350? F.
Mix or sift dry ingredients together in large bowl.Measure in the wet ingredients and mix well.
Pour into 8X8 pan.
Bake 35 minutes or until tests done.

Also makes a really good spice cake. Just omit the cocoa and add 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp. allspice or ground cloves
shel1210
This is one I'm definitely printing and trying out.....how I've missed good old chocolate cake!! You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for some "legal" chocolate frosting to go on the top of it, would you? laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Jamie
A friend of mine had an idea to spread some sugar-free chocolate pudding on top. Haven't tried it, but sounds pretty good. I usually just use a regular chocolate buttercream frosting recipe and sub Splenda for the sugar and Bluebonnet Light for the butter. Turns out pretty good.
molly
Jamie,

This sounds really good.
I'm thinking of adding some unsweetened applesauce to the Spice version for Applesauce Spice Cake. What 'cha think? Would that work ok?

molly
Jamie
Yumm!! That sounds great. I may try that myself. wink.gif
anna
I tried this receipe last night because I felt bold after the great chili I made from the SB cookbook...I've never seen anything like this cake...takes like a cocoa sponge trying to disguise itself as a semi brownie in consistency...LOL. I used Splenda; as a matter of fact I used a bit more than the recipie called for just to make sure it was sweet after I tasted the batter but no luck. The cake just isn't sweet! Not sure what I did wrong! I followed it step by step and it's not over or underdone. sad.gif
maccsale
You might try using granulated fructose. It is not calorie free, but it is sb legal, and its properties resemble sugar in baking. I have noticed that it browns (or burns) faster than sugar, so you have to watch closely. It measures equal to sugar, but I think you sometimes need a little more. Worth the experiment!

Anita
anna
Where can I find granulated fruictose? Also, does anyone know what wheat gluten is? I tried to look for it in the supermarket but have no idea. Is it a yeast?
Thanks,
Anna
sam-I-am
QUOTE (anna @ Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:49)
Where can I find granulated fruictose? Also, does anyone know what wheat gluten is? I tried to look for it in the supermarket but have no idea. Is it a yeast?
Thanks,
Anna

Anna, I buy fructose in the grocery store, in the sugar isle. It's usually kept next to the artificial sweeteners.

Also, I've always been able to find wheat gluten next to the flour. (at Super Wal-Mart, anyway) It comes in a smallish box - about the size of baking soda. Gluten is what is in grain that yeast like to eat. It helps a lot to add it to whole wheat recipes containing yeast. Because whole wheat has not been processed to the point of regular white flour, the gluten isn't immediately available for the yeast. So adding the gluten helps the rise.

smile.gif Sam
yvetteu
Granulated fructose is actually sweeter and doesn't measure equal to sugar. I think a good rule is to use 2/3 as much granulated fructose when substituting for sugar. Some stores carry it with the diabetic items, others have it with the other sugar substitutes in the baking aisle. The brand I buy is always with the "natural" foods and comes in a clear bag.
Cinderella
Now that you have cake, what if anything do you put on it?

Thanks

Cinderella
3lilboysmom
If you're going to have legal cake, a great topper would be sliced fresh berries or a dollop of whipped cream (not Cool Whip) or a small scoop of sf ice cream. ALso, I saw in the store today that Russell Stover makes a low carb chocolate sauce. I didn't read the label, so I can't vouch for how legal it is, or how good, but it sure sounded good to me! tongue.gif

Pam
Benjamin
I love this and I am making it tonight. I catn wait, thanks so much for the recipie...
Benjamin
I found something out. Use Splenda. Equal loses sweetness when heated. Also, use 2 1/4 cup Splenda because it taste really good that way...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.