Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Legal Carrot Cake
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
anna
Hi Everyone,
Just thought I would repost this. I tried it tonight & it's great! One suggestion though: instead of chopping the carrots, grate them on the tiny holes of a cheese grater so that they are tiny; my cake came out looking like a vegetable meatloaf LOL laugh.gif but it tasted great...& I substituted Splenda in the ingredients.
Enjoy!
Anna biggrin.gif

?LEGAL? CARROT CAKE

2-Cups SGWW Flour
3-Tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten
1-Cup DiabetiSweet
1-teaspoon Baking Powder
? teaspoon Baking Soda
1-teaspoon Salt
1 & ? Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
? Cups Canola Oil
4 Eggs
1-Cup Water
3-Cups Chopped Carrots
1-Cup Chopped Pecans

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES.

Mix Flour and Vital Wheat Gluten together first. Add other dry ingredients and mix well. Add Canola Oil and mix well then add water and mix well. Add eggs (one at a time) mixing well after each egg. Add Carrots mix well, then add pecans and mix well. Pour into greased and floured pan (of your choice). I use the Spray Bakers Joy instead of greasing and flouring my pan.

You will just have to keep checking the cake while baking. IMO you should start checking it after 30 minutes if you use regular cake pans. I make mine in a sponge cake pan so I start checking it after 45 minutes.

Make sure that cake is cooled COMPLETELY before icing. Carrot cake is so heavy it takes awhile for it to cool.

CREAM CHEESE ICING

2-8 oz. Packages of Cream Cheese (can use reduced fat if you?d rather)
1-Cup DiabetiSweet
1-Teaspoon Vanilla Flavoring
? Cup 2% Milk (add more if you need to until desired spreading consistency)

Put cream cheese in mixing bowl and cream it then add DiabetiSweet and mix well. Add vanilla flavoring and mix well. Add ? cup milk and mix, if you need more milk I would suggest only adding ? cup at a time.
anna
Update on the carrot cake: don't know what did it (didn't overdo it ...had a small piece) but I've had a stomach ache since last night's dinner after I finished a piece of the cake & now I can't look at it! LOL! Good luck if you try it; I think I'm sticking to 'the no desserts rule' for a bit.
Anna
sam-I-am
QUOTE (anna @ Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:59)
Update on the carrot cake: don't know what did it (didn't overdo it ...had a small piece) but I've had a stomach ache since last night's dinner after I finished a piece of the cake & now I can't look at it! LOL! Good luck if you try it; I think I'm sticking to 'the no desserts rule' for a bit.
Anna

LOL laugh.gif I'm sorry Anna! The cake really sounds delicious. (And I might make it for my husband.) biggrin.gif But maybe you could rename it "Lose All Interest in Dessert Cake".

Yeah, I have not even made any legal desserts lately (did make a Key Lime pie 2 months ago - family loved it but I could not stomach the sweetness - even if it was legal!). I figure if I don't eat 'em, I won't crave 'em. So far so good on that theory! tongue.gif

smile.gif Sam
jdhendr
hey everyone! just one question about this carrot cake. How can it be "legal" if we aren't even suppose to eat carrots? Am I mistaking? I haven't been. Maybe I need to look at the "legal" food book again. Thanks
anna
There was some question about that but in the revised version of the book you can eat carrots. (correct me if I'm wrong anyone). I got this recipie off these boards about a year ago.
Anna
Kate
Carrots are legal in the new book. On page 25 it says that although they have a high GI, they're 93% water and only 7% carbohydrate so a carrot eaten in normal quantities (and on page 93 eat in moderation) will not give you a large blood-sugar stimulating reaction despite its high GI. A note...cooking carrots allows the most nutrients to be released as opposed to raw. So, looks like carrot cake with legal other ingredients is ok biggrin.gif

Had a thought - maybe cutting the amount of DiabetiSweet would help make it not so sweet - I've found that lots of things that have been either "de-carbed" by manufacturers or converted from regular recipes are just too sweet. I think food manufacturers are especially guilty of that. I saw a commercial the other night for 1/3 less sugar Kellogs Corn Flakes for kids and all I could think was why not go a step further and do 1/2 less sugar? As bad as Corn Flakes are, they could at least try to do better than 1/3.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.