Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Molly's Whole Wheat Tortillas
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
molly
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt (or less)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 to 1/2 c. butter (or oil, but I always use butter)
1 cup warm water

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, mixing well. Cut in butter, then add water to make a soft, pliable dough. Knead briefly.

Let sit for 15 minutes or so.

Make the dough into golf ball sized balls, then roll out thin on a well floured board.

Bake on a hot griddle or skillet until slightly browned, then flip and bake the other side.
eganandegan
unsure.gif Hi Molly, Is there any reason why you couldn't make a batch of these, cool them and then freeze them layering a sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper between each one?

Thanks in advance
Tina smile.gif
molly
Sure could... I often do that with them. BTW: I sometimes use them as the base for a thin crust pizza... these have a number of uses and are handy to have around.

molly smile.gif
easyecm
Molly,
I will try this new recipe.
As for the pizza, I havw been doing that for awhile.
Here is the link to "my" recipe.

http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/ind...?showtopic=3025
CRYSTAL
smile.gif Molly I made your ww tortilla yesterday. They were good. I Made the family pizza using boboli crust and used my tortillas as my pizza crust. I used your tomato sauce also. It was soooo good. My husband took a bite of mine and said mine was actually better than his. Thanks for the recipe, I was delicious.
Crystal
molly
You are welcome! I am glad you enjoyed the recipe.

These are pretty handy to have around.. good for quesadillas ...
You may wind up converting the whole family to SB! biggrin.gif

molly
CRYSTAL
Molly, another question about your ww tortillas, do you keep in fridge, freezer, or out on the counter in a baggie?

I haven't thought about quesadellias, that would be good. I was just sitting here thinking about puting some ham and lettuce in one and roll up and eat for supper.

Have a good day.

One more question. I was out side with my girls riding the 4wheeler, came in my husband had popped popcorn. My weakness--- I love to smell it. I eat an orange and handful of peanuts. But I broke down. Help!!!! What can you eat to replace
popcorn??????? But this is the first time I broke down, it has been a week today and have been doing good.

cool.gif Crystal
easyecm
Crystal,

I keep them in the fridge for over a week, in a ziplock bag.
I have used them for quesadellias, wraps, and I have cut them in triangles and baked or fried them until crisp and eat with salsa.

I posted a recipe here for the salsa.
http://www.sugarbustersforum.com/forum/ind...?showtopic=2997

I have also rolled up chili inside, cover with a little more chili and top with topped with chopped lettuce, tomato, and cheese!

The tortilla chips and salsa may help when you want popcorn.

Take care,

Ed
Jadalite
Oh my goodness, I have been searching for a "legal" tortilla recipe for so long and just happened to idly come by here and this had been updated. Thank you, Molly. I'm off to the kitchen.

Easy, thanks for the pizza recipe also; I need one of those.

QUOTE (CRYSTAL @ Jan 8 2006, 05:07 PM)
Molly, another question about your ww tortillas, do you keep in fridge, freezer, or out on the counter in a baggie? 

I haven't thought about quesadellias, that would be good. I was just sitting here thinking about puting some ham and lettuce in one and roll up and eat for supper.

Have a good day.
One more question.  I was out side with my girls riding the 4wheeler, came in my husband had popped popcorn.  My weakness--- I love to smell it.  I eat an orange and handful of peanuts.  But I broke down.  Help!!!! What can you eat to replace
popcorn??????? But this is the first time I broke down, it has been a week today and have been doing good. 

cool.gif  Crystal
Jadalite
I got to thinking about the cornstarch, which isn't "legal" on Sugar Busters, and I got to thinkin' about the fry bread that is a staple in the area I live in and I used Mollie's wonderful recipe as a starting place to create make myself some legal fry bread:

Fry Bread Recipe:

1 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 cup canola oil
1 cup water

Combine ingredients in a bowl, knead dough with wet hands and divide into four sections, forming a ball with each. Pat into pancake shape, fry in hot no stick skillet that has been sprayed with a no cal olive oil type spray or oiled with some of the canola, about 1 minute per side or until dough is no longer wet.
CRYSTAL
Thanks, Ed for the salsa recipe. I will Bake some of those homemade tortilla chips and make the salsa. I just had a weak moment I guess with the popcorn and all--the smellllll. I can't wait to try it. Sounds good. Crystal
mandi78
Yesterday I bought some of the Carb Balance Whole Wheat Fajita Size Tortillas. The nutrition label shows sugar as being 0 and there is no sugar, high fructose corn syrup, etc listed in the ingredients...only sucralose (splenda). Does anyone know if these are okay? Thanks.

Mandi
easyecm
Mandi,

Based on what you said, yes they are ok!

It is refreshing to hear someone ask if something is ok, after reading the ingredients not just the nutrition label.

Take care,

Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.