Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Louisiana Shrimp And Okra Gumbo
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Soups & Salads
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil (safflower or canola)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 green bellpepper, chopped
16 oz. bag of frozen chopped okra (or 1 pound of fresh)
4-5 cups water
3 chicken bouillion cubes
1 tsp. minced fresh garlic (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
2 pounds peeled shrimp
red pepper (optional)
file' (optional)
brown rice, cooked

Make a roux by cooking the flour and oil together in a 6 quart pot over medium-low heat STIRRING CONSTANTLY until it becomes the color of cholcolate. This will take about 10-20 minutes.

Add onion and bellpepper to roux and cook, stirring frequently, until soft. Then add okra and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.

Add water (start with 4 cups, but add more if you feel it's too thick - personally, I like it thick!) and bouillion cubes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low to low. Add garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper (start with about 1/2 tsp. each of salt and pepper, dash of red pepper) and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Next, add shrimp and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Adjust seasoning as needed before serving. Serve gumbo by ladeling over 1/3 cup brown rice in a soup bowl. If you are lucky enough to find file' (ground sassafrass leaves) in your grocery store, then sprinkle about 1/4 tsp. over each serving. Enjoy!!

*For Shrimp and Crabmeat Gumbo, substitute 1 pound of crabmeat for 1 pound of shrimp.
YUM! I'm a big fan of Gumbo!

Me, too! There's nothing better during cold weather!

smile.gif Pam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.