Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buttermilk Pancakes
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Main Dishes
ValjGra
My husband bought this pancake mix. He argued that it was something I could have. Ingredients:unbleached unbromated wheat flour, whole wheat flour,whey,dextrose, leavening, soybean oil, and buttermilk. For two pancakes the carbs read 33 and the sugar 3. We argued over this. Could you please give me some insight into if myhusband was right or me?? Thanks!!
sam-I-am
Well, first of all, the first ingredient is not legal. You want only flour that is listed as "whole wheat" or "stone ground whole wheat".

The food industry camouflages wheat flour as either "unbleached" or "enriched" to make it sound healthier. (and they make up a lot of other terms too!) Hah. Regardless of what the "carb" count is, you need to go by the ingredients.

Personally I try to stay away from "pre-mix/processed" food... period. (Too many ingredients I can't pronounce!) I have gotten to where I enjoy preparing food from scratch. heh! wink.gif

smile.gif Sam
ValjGra
QUOTE (sam-I-am @ Feb 21 2005, 10:30 PM)
Well, first of all, the first ingredient is not legal.  You want only flour that is listed as "whole wheat" or "stone ground whole wheat".

The food industry camouflages wheat flour as either "unbleached" or "enriched" to make it sound healthier. (and they make up a lot of other terms too!)  Hah.  Regardless of what the "carb" count is, you need to go by the ingredients.

Personally I try to stay away from "pre-mix/processed" food...  period.  (Too many ingredients I can't pronounce!)  I have gotten to where I enjoy preparing food from scratch.  heh! wink.gif

smile.gif Sam
ValjGra
QUOTE (ValjGra @ Feb 21 2005, 11:27 PM)

Thank you... I didnt think so and thats why it was worth it to ask. I havent eaten anything from a box since January 5th!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.