Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good, Crusty Whole Wheat Loaves?
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
Cakepro
I am looking for a recipe for good, crusty whole wheat bread that can be baked in long loaves, like French bread. I saw an episode of Good Eats (the best show on FoodTV) in which the host, Alton Brown, made some scrumptious sub-type sandwiches, called "Pan Bagnat." The only thing not legal is the bread.

I can't wait to try some of the bread machine and pizza dough recipes I found on this site! What a treasure!

Thanks
Sherri
sweetolyve
QUOTE (Cakepro @ Mar 23 2005, 09:38 PM)
I am looking for a recipe for good, crusty whole wheat bread that can be baked in long loaves, like French bread.  I saw an episode of Good Eats (the best show on FoodTV) in which the host, Alton Brown, made some scrumptious sub-type sandwiches, called "Pan Bagnat."  The only thing not legal is the bread.

I can't wait to try some of the bread machine and pizza dough recipes I found on this site!  What a treasure!

Thanks
Sherri

Hi Sherri,

Whenever I find a recipe that I really like, I just don't use the white flour or unbleached flour that the recipe usually calls for. Instead, I use 100% whole wheat and add vital wheat gluten to help with the rise and elasticity of the dough.

Now there is a white whole wheat flour, I found some completely by accident and fell in love with it. It isn't as bitter or hard as the red whole wheat berry flour that is usually sold in stores (most folks don't like the flavor of WW bread). I didn't realize that I'd end up ordering my white whole wheat flour from an online supplier, but that is exactly what I did. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Debbie...(O:
><>
Artemis
There are some really good whole wheat bread recipes in the two "Sugar Bust for Life with the Brennans" cookbooks. I haven't tried them, but I'm sure they'd be great.
Cakepro
Thanks for your responses. I have both of the Brennan's cookbooks but didn't think to look there first.

I think I may be experimenting some with the vital wheat gluten and ww flour in my favorite French bread recipes! smile.gif

Thanks,
Sherri
easyecm
"There are some really good whole wheat bread recipes in the two "Sugar Bust for Life with the Brennans" cookbooks. I haven't tried them, but I'm sure they'd be great"

I have made many of the WW Bread Machine bread from the book and it is great!
I no longer have the book and it is not available here, but I would love the recipe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.