? teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 teaspoons olive oil
? cup minced onion
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
1 ? pounds lean ground beef
? cup salsa
? cup shredded colby-jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, combine oat bran, cream, salt and egg. Set aside.

In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add the onions. Cook just for a few minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent. Remove from heat and stir in the chiles. Set aside.

Add the ground beef to the oat bran mixture, then add the onions and chiles. Combine thoroughly.

Press half of the meat loaf mixture evenly into the bottom of the loaf pan. Spread with salsa; then, place the remaining meat mixture evenly over the top, pressing into place.

Top with shredded cheese. Bake 1 hour. To serve, remove to a platter and slice.

Serves 5.

1 serving:
30 g. fat (before cooking); 6 g. total carb; 22 g. protein; 1 g. fiber
425 calories

3 lean meat; ? vegetable; 4 fat (before cooking)

?This recipe is copyrighted by Shake Off the Sugar.
quote=blessed_leslie,Apr 6 2005, 02:24 PM

Dear Blessed Leslie;

I am new here. Just registered today! I've been reading over a few of the posts here on the message boards and have come across yours! I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to post the nutritional information along with your recipe! I'm sure it's helpful to everyone who analyze their diets in respect to the amount of Protein, Carbohydrates, Fats and Calories. Including the Exchanges for the Diabetic Readers.
I'm curious though, if you've tried altering this particular recipe by substituting ground Turkey? Probably would lower the saturated fat content. No?
Was just a thought.

Hi Vince and Welcome ! Yes you could certianly use ground turkey or ground chicken if you so desired. I bet It would still taste great! please also remember that 30 g. fat is (before cooking). thanks for the great idea! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.