blessed_leslie
3 cups sourdough starter
2 cups reconstituted nonfat milk
2 tbsp sugar or agave
2 tbsp yeast
4 cups whole wheat flour
5+ cup sgww bread flour

warm milk (1 minute nuked will do). Put in large bowl; add yeast and
sugar, and mix. Add ww flour, then as much bread flour as necessary.
Knead 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary, or knead in food processor.
Put in a nonstick dutch oven, cover, let rise for an hour. Punch down,
roll up and place in nonstick loaf pans, let rise for an hour. Bake 400
degrees F for 25-30 minutes.

Sourdough starter

Mix 1 cup sgww bread flour, 1 cup water, 1/2 tbsp sugar (or agave**) and 1/2 tbsp yeast.
Let sit in nonmetallic bowl for 3-5 days, stirring daily. Take 1/2 cup
of starter, mix with 5 cups flour and 5 cups water in a large
nonmetallic bowl, let sit for 1-7 days. When you use it, save 1/2 cup
starter for next batch. (Will make 6 cups starter, plus 1/2 cup for
next batch)

** FYI

* This sweetener is sometimes called "nectar" and sometimes called "syrup". It is the same food.

* The light syrup has a more neutral flavor.

* In recipes, use about 25% less of this nectar than you would use of table sugar. ? cup of agave nectar should equal 1 cup of table sugar. For most recipes this rule works well.

* When substituting this sweetener in recipes, reduce your liquid slightly, sometimes as much as 1/3 less.

* Reduce your oven temperature by 25 degrees.

* Agave nectar can be combined with Splenda to counter Splenda's aftertaste and to control the amount of fructose used.

* The glycemic index of agave nectar is low.

* As a food exchange, a one-teaspoon serving of agave nectar equals a free food. Two servings or two teaspoons equals ? carbohydrate exchange.

Cinderella
YIPPEEEE!!!! smile.gif

Cinderella

Does the happy dance!
Artemis
Looks good, thanks for postin' that!

Does anyone know the GI of agave nectar?
blessed_leslie
There are different types of Agave. Blue Agave has a GI of only 10 or 11. I would call that Low Glycemic . That is lower then Broccoli, Celery, Cucumber, Spinach, tomato, cauliflower, lettuce, and walnuts etc. that all have a GI of 15. So, yes low glycemic. Grapefruits are 25 GI.

Even all the anti-carb sites and diabetic sites praise agave nectar for being low glycemic and not causing sugar rushes.

"The Glycemic Index has been measured at 10-11. This GI, certified by the University of Sydney, is based on Agave Nectar produced from 100% Blue Weber Tequilana. Agave Nectar produced from a blend of Agave plants or "Wild Agave" has a higher Glycemic Index. Do not be confused!"

http://www.sweetcactusfarms.com/products.htm

"Agave, sourced from the cactus-like agave plant in Mexico, is an organic, plant-derived sweetener with a glycemic index of only 11."

http://www.intelligentnutrients.com/education/agave.htm
Artemis
Thanks for the info, Leslie! smile.gif I will look at the site you mention.

I want to bake some breadlike thing after reading this thread and have another question if anyone knows (although this isn't related to sourdough). I have a recipe in the Brennans' cookbook for whole wheat biscuits. One of the ingredients is baking powder, which is cornstarch and sodium bicarbonate ... cornstarch isn't "legal" in SB, although the Brennans' is an SB cookbook. I assume the small amount of cornstarch to make the biscuits rise is ok dokey, but I'm extremely strict re my WOE and want to substitute plain bicarbonate of sodium (e.g., Arm 'n Hammer) and wonder if anyone can tell me the probable effect this could have on the taste of the biscuits (before I do it!). smile.gif
Artemis
Well, I answered my own question. Baked the biscuits and they were delicious with just the baking soda, proving there's no need for the cornstarch. Needed salt, though, as I didn't have any, but still good.
Cinderella
Yeah! I am going to try those. I have found that for those die hard southerners you can make gravy out of WW flour. And for those special times, biscuts and gravy would be WONDERFUL!

YIPPEEEE>>>>!!!!! smile.gif

Cinderella
Cinderella
PS BTW, could you post that biscut recipe???

Thanks

Cinderella
angela
QUOTE (blessed_leslie @ Apr 30 2005, 01:29 PM)
3 cups sourdough starter
2 cups reconstituted nonfat milk
2 tbsp sugar or agave
2 tbsp yeast
4 cups whole wheat flour
5+ cup sgww bread flour

warm milk (1 minute nuked will do).  Put in large bowl; add yeast and
sugar, and mix.  Add ww flour, then as much bread flour as necessary.
Knead 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary, or knead in food processor.
Put in a nonstick dutch oven, cover, let rise for an hour.  Punch down,
roll up and place in nonstick loaf pans, let rise for an hour.  Bake 400
degrees F for 25-30 minutes.

Sourdough starter

Mix 1 cup sgww bread flour, 1 cup water, 1/2 tbsp sugar (or agave**) and 1/2 tbsp yeast.
Let sit in nonmetallic bowl for 3-5 days, stirring daily.  Take 1/2 cup
of starter, mix with 5 cups flour and 5 cups water in a large
nonmetallic bowl, let sit for 1-7 days.  When you use it, save 1/2 cup
starter for next batch.  (Will make 6 cups starter, plus 1/2 cup for
next batch)

** FYI

* This sweetener is sometimes called "nectar" and sometimes called "syrup". It is the same food.

* The light syrup has a more neutral flavor.

* In recipes, use about 25% less of this nectar than you would use of table sugar. ? cup of agave nectar should equal 1 cup of table sugar. For most recipes this rule works well.

* When substituting this sweetener in recipes, reduce your liquid slightly, sometimes as much as 1/3 less.

* Reduce your oven temperature by 25 degrees.

* Agave nectar can be combined with Splenda to counter Splenda's aftertaste and to control the amount of fructose used.

* The glycemic index of agave nectar is low.

* As a food exchange, a one-teaspoon serving of agave nectar equals a free food. Two servings or two teaspoons equals ? carbohydrate exchange.

what does sgww stand for?
blessed_leslie
QUOTE (angela @ Feb 4 2006, 10:39 PM)
what does sgww stand for?

Stoned Ground Whole Wheat biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.