Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Newbie Needs Some Help
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Other
melwooch
blink.gif Can I use blacken seasoning & butter on my protein?
davew
In general, yes you can blacken your protein, such as fish or chops.

I'd read the ingredient list of the blackening seasonings to be sure there isn't sugar theree, but I can't imagine why there would be.

I have a jar of seasoning for blackening, it contains the following:

Spices and paprika, salt, dehydrated onion and garlic, silicon dioxide to prevent caking.

All of these are OK.

Dave
Jadalite
Dave, would there be any cancer concerns with blackening protein?

Guess I'm asking because of "hearing" for so many years that charring meats on a grill can be carcinogenic (sp?) ... dunno, wonder if anything has ever been written about cancer and blackened meat/fish.

Not that it has anything to do with SB, should be fine in re the GI.
Cinderella
i thought that this was only a concern when cooking on charcole. dunno.

cinderella
Jadalite
Could be, Cinderella. I guess I thought it applied to any charring of food, especially protein. Just was curious if it concerned anyone ... I know blackened food is very popular.
davew
I'm not certain about this, but I think the cancer concern comes from charring food that has been cured with nitrates. Typically, that would be bacon, but not a fresh fish or meat. And not the spices that blacken as talked about here.

Dave
thejengs
My understanding was also that it was the charcoal causing the cancer as well as the lighter fluid...

Jengs
easyecm
I thought I had read somewhere it was the smoke and by products of the burning charcoal.
But, I read that so long ago, I am not sure
Just my 2 cents
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.