Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Food Pyramid In Book
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Food News
CRYSTAL
You know I have been writing asking everyone about how everyone eats, especially about starches and a food plan daily. Everyone has responed that they eat only 1-2 servings daily of starchy foods to lose weight. I was re-reading my SB book again. and it was talking about they believe the problem of obesity in the US has been caused by the population adhering to the govenments recommended food pyramid. To use the propose pyramid in Appendix A. Well in looking at that pyramid they suggest Fats/sweets use sparingly; milk/yogurt/cheese group 2-3 servings and vegetable oild 1-2 servings; beans/soy/legumes/nuts 1-2 servings;
High fiber vegetable group- 3-5 servings/ lean & trimmed meats/poultry, fish and eggs- 2-3 servings/ Fruit group 2-4 servings. Now comes the kicker!!!!!!!!--- Whole grain bread/cereal/rice/&pasta group - 6-10 servings. How in the heck can you eat that much and every lose weight????????????

Sorry this is so long, but I just re-read this and had been talking about this and I just needed to post. Why would they suggest so much starcy carbs??????????

? confused.

Thanks everyone for letting me write ....

Crystal sad.gif ohmy.gif
Kate
Washington Post Graphic Comparison of Old and New Pyramids

USDA Food Pyramid Site

While there's no question we all need whole grains in our diets, it's just going to depend upon the individual person. Also, I think paying attention to actual serving sizes is extremely important. Pasta, for instance, is something I don't think we generally measure...we throw in a box and divide it up among whomever is eating. I bought a pasta measurer, it's a thing with round holes for 1, 2 , 3 etc. servings and I was surprised at how little 1 serving actually was. And, on the bread label, one serving of bread is generally one slice, not two. I've also been looking through the 14 day meal plan in book 1 and for the most part, grains are only part of two meals per day. In a few cases, 2 tbsp of ww flower makes up one of them!

Just some observations..........
smile.gif
easyecm
Crystal,

The answer is simple.

The US government believes low fat is the solution!

The US population secondary to the media, jumped on the low fat band wagon in the 70's. As a results the US is a fatter nation, by about 15%!

They just will not except that it is not fat that makes you fat, but rather sugar that will make you fat! When the food industry started to produce low fat products, they replaced fat with sugar and let us see what happened! The population got fatter!

I personally think that the US guidelines are driven by big industry. So when the producers of HG carb based foods are able to make the recommendations of how the nation should eat, what will they say is the "healthy" way to eat?

Sorry for the rant,

Take care,

Ed
unsweetened
QUOTE (easyecm @ Apr 17 2006, 06:34 PM)
Crystal,

The answer is simple.

The US government believes low fat is the solution!

The US population secondary to the media, jumped on the low fat band wagon in the 70's. As a results the US is a fatter nation, by about 15%!

They just will not except that it is not fat that makes you fat, but rather sugar that will make you fat! When the food industry started to produce low fat products, they replaced fat with sugar and let us see what happened! The population got fatter!

I personally think that the US guidelines are driven by big industry. So when the producers of HG carb based foods are able to make the recommendations of how the nation should eat, what will they say is the "healthy" way to eat?

Sorry for the rant,

Take care,

Ed

I agree with you Ed they really need to check "The Pyramid" over and rewrite the whole thing.. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.