Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chicken And Sausage Gumbo
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Main Dishes
I usually take three days to do this recipe. The first day, I stew two chickens and cook bout 1 lb bacon for the fat. Use the bacon for other recipes.

The second day, I make the gumbo. I remove everything that floats with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Refigerate everything. The third day, I remove the hardened fat from the top of the gumbo. If you've kept track of what went in, there is major fat in the roux, the chicken, the okra, and the sausage. I add about 1/4 of the habaneros (reserved) at this point, as all heat will go away with the fat. Bring back to the heat to dissolve what fat there is to spread out into freezing containers. Shrimp is added 5 minutes before actually serving over (brown) rice.

Stewed Chicken and Stock:

2 Chickens
1 Onion
3 Carrots
2 Bay Leaves
2 Stalks Celery
Peppercorns, Thyme, Salt, Pepper

Cut up chicken, stew in water with an onion that has been quartered, with about 20 peppercorns, and carrots and celery, cut into large pieces. Add spices. Simmer for about 1 hour.

Strain stock, pick off the chicken when cooled.

1 Cup Bacon Fat (add lard as needed)
1 Cup Flour (SGWW for SB legal)
1 Large Onion, chopped, about 2 cups
3 Stalks Celery, chopped, about 1 cup
? Green Pepper, chopped
3 Cloves Garlic
3 Habanero Peppers, diced ? Use gloves to clean and chop these

Cook Oil and Flour in microwave on high for about 8 minutes in large bowl, stirring frequently. Flour should be very brown. Transfer to heavy pan, continue cooking. Turn down heat if it smokes, stirring constantly, until the flour is the color of chestnuts. Add vegetables, cook until limp.

2/3 Pound Andouille Sausage (Pepperoni as a substitute)
Salt, Pepper, Tobasco, Cayenne Pepper
Chicken and stock (above)
1 Package (or 2 boxes) okra, sliced and fried in fat

Add stock, okra, and sausage to roux, simmer for 1 hour. Remove all the vegetables and sausage that floats with slotted spoon, reserve. Chill Soup, skim fat off top after it solidifies. Return to heat, add skimmings and chicken. Correct the seasoning. Bring to simmer.

When ready to serve, add shrimp, cook for 3 minutes. I serve abut 6 large shrimp (35 ? 30 per lb.) per person. Only add as much shrimp as you will eat at one time. It is better if not cooked too long.

Serve over (brown for SB) rice.

Better after being frozen or 24 hours in refrigerator.
WOWSERS! Does this ever sound good! This must make a huge amount of Gumbo! Does it freeze well Dave?

This does make a big vat. It does freeze well, and keeps for months. I just thaw as much as I will need and add shrimp just before serving. The shrimp won't stand cooking, freezing and reheating.

That sounds awesome! I've never made it with bacon fat, but as Emeril says, if it's made with pork fat, it must be fabulous!! laugh.gif

One note, I usually use WW pastry flour to make my roux, because it's much less gritty than SGWW flour.

smile.gif Pam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.