Recipe courtesy Sylvia Marchese
Split Pea Soup

ingredients: 2# dried split peas
1 gallon bottled water
1# pickled pork
2 med. onions, chopped
2 tsp. minced garlic (if desired)
salt and pepper to taste
Another gallon bottled water (more or less)
process: Rinse split peas and drain. In a large pot, cover peas with the water and simmer.
In a frying pan, saute onions until clear. Add pickled pork and brown slightly. Add garlic at this time, and saute a short while. Add this to the split peas, continuing to simmer for about 2 hours.

Stir occasionally and add more water as necessary.
Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper. DO NOT ADD SALT UNTIL YOU HAVE TASTED THE SOUP, AS THE PICKLED MEAT MAY BE SALTY.

You can cut this recipe in half, but I like to make a lot and put it in the freezer.
SuzyBear
unsure.gif
What is "pickled meat" and where would I be able to purchase it?

The only "pickled" stuff I ever heard of (besides family members) were eggs or pig's feet, and I don't even know of any local stores that sell these any more, since the old-timers closed up and left us with chain supermarkets.TIA,

SuzyBear
davew
I've always used a smoked ham hock for split pea soup - instead of the pickled pork. For this large a recipe, I'd use two. Cook with the soup for the entire time, remove the ham hocks, and cut the meat off, and add the meat back to the soup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.