Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whole wheat roll recipe
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
Hello everyone,
I have been on sugar buster's for 13 months and have lost 40#!!! My husband has even joined me now in hopes that Sugar Buster's will help lower his cholesterol. I am looking for a good whole wheat roll recipe...thanks in advance for any help.
Here's a whole wheat bread recipe I got from this site that is really good. To make rolls rather than bread is really easy. After the first rise, punch it down and knead. Then cut into roll size pieces, make a ball by rolling between your hands, and let rise in a baking pan (or 2 or 3 pans). As the rolls rise, they will touch each other but still be separate. A little melted butter on top adds a nice touch. They need to double in size, usually about an hour. Cook at 400 for about 12 - 15 minutes.

Whole Wheat Bread

Microwave warm:
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 stick butter
2 T honey
Make sure this is not too hot when mixed into dry mix. It should just be barely warm to the touch.

Mix the dry:
3 cups Whole wheat White
3 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
12 Tbsp. vital wheat gluten

Combine the two and let sit in bowl 5 minutes. *** Turn on oven to 200 and turn it off when you continue to next step ***

Begin to add flour 1/2 cup at a time until it pulls away from the bowl into a kneadable dough. (It will be a little bit tacky to the touch, but doesn't gum up on your hands)

Knead a good long time, at least 10 minutes by hand. ( I actually mix it in my KitchenAid a little while and then knead 10 minutes or so. I love to knead bread)

Put oil in bowl and coat, then put dough in and roll top in oil turn over. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and place in warmed oven (Make sure it is not HOT inside)

Let rise until doubled and then gently deflate and knead well, two or three minutes. Cut in 1/2 and shape into two loaves and place in bread pans. Cover and rise until just rounded to top of pan. Place (uncovered) in preheated 350 degrees and bake until browned top and bottom, approximately 30 - 40 minutes. (I didn't look at the time. I just check it around 30 minutes and then keep an eye on it.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.