Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chocolate Decadence
Glycemic Index Forum / Sugar Busters Forum > Main > Recipes > Breads & Desserts
davew
With the holidays coming up, I think it's time to share some recipes for special occasions.

This recipe is not legal in its current form. I've never tried it with 70% chocolate, I've used the Dove bittersweet (illegal, but good). For the small amount of sugar and flour involved, I don't worry, but a sugar substitute should work well.

This makes a cake the size of a single layer of a layer cake, about 8". It will serve 16 easily. I like to microwave each piece a little to get the chocolate soft. I sometimes skip the cream and always the garnish and I don't like fruit with my chocolate, so I skip the raspberries, as well. It is very easy to make.

This is always a favorite for a pot luck.

Chocolate Decadence

1 Pound dark sweet chocolate
10 Tbs unsalted butter
4 Whole eggs
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs all-purpose flour

1 Cup heavy cream, whipped
Shaved Bittersweet Chocolate
1 Package (10 to 12 ounces) Frozen Raspberries

Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan. Cut waxed paper to fit the bottom, butter it and lay it on the bottom of the pan. Preheat the oven to 425?.

In a small saucepan over very low heat (or double boiler) melt the chocolate with the butter. Set it aside. In the deep top of a double boiler, combine the eggs with the sugar. Beat the eggs and sugar over the hot water until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is just lukewarm. Remove the top of the double boiler from the heat and beat the eggs until they quadruple in volume and become quite thick.

Fold the flour into the eggs. Stir one-fourth of the egg mixture into the chocolate. Then, fold the chocolate back into the rest of the egg mixture. Pour and scrape the batter into the cake pan. Bake it for 15 minutes. The cake will still be liquid in the center. Freeze the cake overnight in the pan.

To unmold the cake, carefully dip the bottom of the pan in hot water. Invert it onto a cake plate. Remove the pan and gently remove the waxed paper. Decorate the cake with the whipped cream and shaved chocolate. Refrigerate until serving.

Puree the raspberries and their juice in a blender or food processor. Strain out the seeds and serve a tablespoon of this puree as a sauce with each portion.
shel1210
QUOTE (davew @ Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:54)
This makes a cake the size of a single layer of a layer cake, about 8".  It will serve 16 easily. 

laugh.gif ....or in my case, should serve one nicely!!! laugh.gif

I'm just kidding.....sort of!!
kodakstapler
blink.gif serves 16?

Shel, serve for two? tongue.gif
davew
Serving 16 on this is really easy. Look at the ingredients. One serving would include 1 oz of chocolate, and over 1/2 Tbs butter.

Another way of looking at is the size of a pie shaped wedge. For an 8" cake cut into 16 pieces, the end of the wedge is just over 1.5 inches. This is actually a very large serving.

This is pure chocolate, richened with butter, and set up with some eggs.

Yum.
shel1210
dry.gif Sorry, Em....but when it comes to chocolate, I definitely have some major sharing issues. biggrin.gif Going against the grain of being a good mother, I can't even manage to share it with my kids! unsure.gif
jokeje
LOL!!! I'm with ya, Shel!! Gotta HAVE my chocolate fix once in a while!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.